Back on the ship

Liana delivers a ferocious left hook to Eldaren's face. It sends him reeling to the floor, stars dancing in his eyes. "What's it going to take to get through to you, Eldaren!? Do you want to get killed? You must. It's the only explanation for your stupidity. I have fought and bled to protect you--but YOU make this task impossible. I quit. I quit this fucking job. No amount of pay, no amount of prestige is worth having to deal with you!"

"Okay look," Eldaren says. "I know on our way back I said some things I maybe shouldn't have, and I know my actions haven't exactly been the best, but give me a break. I'm new to all of this."

"Which is why you need to learn to listen," Liana growls. "I was hired to protect you, not to babysit a fucking child. You little. Fucking. Boy," and then she storms off.

The surrounding crew makes way for her, no one daring to get in her way. They watch her move with tears welling in her eyes, and they also turn to see a bewildered man, young and naive.

A single window blares sunlight into a barren room, with a single drawer for clothes, and a small bed to sleep on. Liana sits here, in this room, hours later and completely alone. She sits with her legs tugged toward her breasts. Her hair is let down, with her bangs covering her eyes, and her armor and weapon rest at the side of her bed.

There's a knock at the door. 

Liana looks at the door and doesn't say anything.

There's another knock on the door.

"If that's you, Eldaren, then you can walk away from that door and leave me the fuck alone. Otherwise, come on in."

The door opens and a familiar face enters the room, purple eyes and black hair, wearing a trench coat that runs just inches above her knees, and black boots that run up her calves. She steps into the room and closes the door behind her before saying, "I heard you were having a hard time. By that look on your face, and that sour tone in your voice, I would have to bet some money that things haven't been going too well."

Liana is unsure if she's happy or not to see Valentine, "How are you even here?"

"We're not here to talk about me today," Valentine says as she strolls towards Liana. She goes to the end of her bed and leans against the wall and looks at Liana and says, "You look like you're ready to beat the shit out of someone for talking to you the wrong way."

Liana frowns at this comment. She hates being easily read.

"Don't worry about being executed," Valentine says. "I would never let the higher-ups do that to you."

Liana feels a dreadful, sinking feeling in her stomach. Placing her hands over her face, she says, "Fuck. You're right. It's bad enough that I swore at Eldaren, but hitting nobility.... oh fuck. I can't believe I let my emotion get the better of me."

"Being in the field is a lot different from field training. The way this job is affecting you is proof enough."

"I just... I didn't think it would be this hard, ma'am."

"Drop that 'ma'am,' crap, Liana. Right now, we're having a talk as two women. I know you want to put up this tough girl act because it's the only way you've been able to get ahead, but no one can be tough all the time. It's also important to allow yourself to have some vulnerability."

Liana drops her hands from her face and stares into Valentine's eyes, as if doing so would allow her to sense her motives, to see who she really is, "I don't even know you, Valentine, and you don't know me. You might have read up about me, but you don't know who I am."