07 ❱ ━━━━ HAIR RUFFLES

━━━━━━━━━━━
CHAPTER SEVEN
❝ hair ruffles ❞
━━━━━━━━━━━

THE TANGERINE SUNSET in the sky looked like fresh colours painted on an artist's canvas. As the sun sets across the horizon, it dyed the sky orange, then red, then dark blue. And eventually darkness took over, with only sequin-like stars and old fashioned street lights illuminating the tranquil street where the two high-schoolers were currently walking on.

With Y/n still holding onto Suna's arm, the guy had made sure not to take any major steps in case of worsening the unpleasant feeling in her legs. Maybe it was also an excuse to lengthen the time spent with her, who knows. But one thing for sure was that the atmosphere between the two was definitely awkward.

Y/n made the first move to break the awkward silence between them. She couldn't bear staying quiet for the whole journey, especially since she had been longing to ask Suna a question that kept lingering in her mind. Clearing her throat, she said with a smile as her eyes focused on the night sky, "The sky's... pretty today, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Suna sneaked a glance at the girl before looking up at the dark sky above. He could see millions of stars dotted on the black canvas of night. It looked like a painting. And a faint smile graced his lips at the thought that Y/n actually tried making an effort to converse with him. "It really is."

People would usually be intimidated by Suna. And it was understandable. Because behind the uninterested, deadpan expression that never left his face was a pair of green eyes with an intense gaze that left people in disdain. But if one were to be daring enough to stare a minute longer at the middle blocker's emerald orbs and observe them, they'd be able to see— yellow.

Suna's eyes weren't just intimidating green. They were warm, honey yellow too. And no one noticed those pair of precious ambers because they were like guarded treasure hidden away from the outside world, desperately waiting for the bravest among the bravest to discover and cherish. And once you make it past the green viridescent borders, you'll get to see beams of golden yellow that'll engulf you in a sense of calmness.

And Y/n— saw those heavenly, aureate rays.

As Suna finally reverted his eyes from the sky to the path ahead of him, he realised that Y/n had been staring at him the whole time. And when their eyes locked, it felt as if time stopped and they were in their own world. "Suna," the girl began, her face was only a few inches away from the middle blocker as she continued to keep eye contact with him, "Why did you want to meet me at the gym?"

Suna spent the first few seconds blinking at the girl's question, he forgot about his real intentions of asking Y/n to meet him in the gym. And just when he was about to answer, the girl noticed how close they were and immediately distanced her face away from him. She looked the other way, an uneasy grin playing on her lips as rosy red tint dusted her cheeks. Since when was she so bold?

The middle blocker did the same too and simultaneously looked the opposite way. He could feel his face burning all the way up to his ears as he combed his fingers through his hair.  "Uh, yeah. About that..."  Suna's deadpan expression helped with covering up his blushing face, but his red ears gave it all away, "I uh...wanted to get your number. But I forgot about it. Forgive me."

"Ah— Haha...R-really?" Y/n stuttered. Her face was still flustered, and she desperately wanted to hide her blushing features that got redder by the second. Unfortunately, thanks to her occupied hands, the best she could do was to face the opposite way of Suna. Slowly unhooking her arm away from the middle blocker, she reached for her phone in her bag and handed it to him.