08. the allure of darkness

The next day, Jo had to work at the hospital and Alaric left with her. Kennedy came over afterwards to check up on Kai while Damon and Elena we're talking in the room next to Kai.

"Hey, coffee bean," Damon greeted the girl as she entered.

"Hey, Salvatore," Kennedy replied with a less excited tone.

"What do you think you're doing here?"

"Just— making sure Kai isn't loose," She lied and laughed awkwardly while walking into Alaric's kitchen to grab a water.

Damon and Elena continued their talk about their relationship and what not.

Moments later, Elena ended up leaving and Damon walked into the kitchen where Kennedy was sitting at the small dining table on her phone.

"Okay, Collins," He started—standing in the doorway, "Since you're here, you get to babysit Kai while I go get a bourbon."

Kennedy nodded and focused her attention back onto her phone.

"Oh— Elena said to give him 50 milligrams of pentobarbital or whatever that means if he starts twitching," He shrugged before walking away.

The girl set her phone on the table and quietly got up to watch Damon leave. Then peeking out the window to see his car pull out of the drive away. She made her way into Alaric's bedroom and started to unwire wires from Kai.

"Crazy women making bad decisions," She said quietly while unhooking the last wire.

Kennedy sighed once she was finished and stood by waiting for him to wake up.

Kai soon started twitching, indicating he was conscious. The brunette got to her feet and walked over to him.

"Hey," She said quietly while he started to get up on his elbows.

His eyes opened and he saw her, making him groan and lay back down. Kennedy frowned from his gesture.

"What do you want?" He asked in irritation.

"O-kay," She said awkwardly and and stepped back. "This did not start off the way I expected."

"What were you expecting? You literally baited me."

"I mean— not necessarily—" She laughed but he was being serious.

"Yes. You did."

"I didn't think you'd be upset about it."

"I'm not," He said now laughing. "You think I care? Especially over you?"

Kennedy felt her heart beat faster and ache. A frown formed on her lips but Kai still didn't seem to care.

"It's whatever. I used you too," He continued making her look up a him. "Yeah, that burger date? That was just to get closer to you so I can find my coven and kill them."

Kennedy tried to keep a neutral face but couldn't, so she bit on her bottom lip to hide the frown.

"Damon showed me this beautiful picture of you and Elena when we were in the prison world," He smiled reflecting back. "Of course beautiful as in Elena."

She shut her eyes. Kai was intentionally hurting her. He may not have meant most of it, but he wanted to see her react and be upset.

"I should've just left you alone and let Jo kill you," She muttered under her breath causing Kai to tilt his head and hold a puzzled look. "Or I should've done it myself the minute I saw you in the gym with me, but oh well."

Her arms crossed together as she stared at the floor.

"Or you could've just killed me, you know? You almost did actually," She laughed while looking back up at him. Kai was still confused in the moment. "Oh yeah, you— slammed me against the lockers in the highschool haha. Memories." She looked up pondering over it. "My head was bleeding! Imagine if you just used a little more magic? Could've crack my skull open and i'd bleed out." She continued. "Luckily Drew was there."