Chapter 20

A figure emerged from the shadows of the tunnel mouth, man shaped and of average height, wearing a light grey robe the hood of which shrouded its wearers face from view. It moved slowly but freely and without caution, indeed it was a complete contrast to the three companions in how it carried itself. It walked upright, with a straight back and an air of neutrality, exuding not the slightest hint of a threat as if it did not wish to alarm them.

L'non had shifted his weight to his back foot, an obvious defensive stance but he raised his sword diagonally across his body and he swayed slightly as he shifted his weight on the balls of his feet, watching the newcomer enter the cavern.

Braxter seemed to have forgotten to breathe and quickly took a few panicked breaths through his nose. Immediately the figures head twitched in his direction, past L'non and he knew that eyes stared out directly at him from beneath that hood despite him being almost completely concealed by the cover of the stalagmites.

"Curb un degar" murmured Ja'aris softly as his tongue licked first across the words, then across his lips slowly.

"Who is it?" asked Braxter urgently but under his breath, instantly wishing he had been even quieter.

"Not sure. Wait." Ja'aris responded with a slight shrug, flexing his grip on his knives and adjusting his feet slightly.

The figure had walked slowly into the cavern towards L'non and stopped when it was still a short distance away from him. The contours of the body beneath the robe gave the impression of a masculine build but other than that, even at a short distance, no further details could be made out.

Once again Braxter, Randyl, L'non and Ja'aris waited in silence. This time however they did not have long to wait.

The figures arms moved outward to either side of its body, its palms raised slightly upwards and in the silence a low whistling could be heard as if air was being forced through a very small hole. Moments after the sound began Braxter felt the hairs on his arms and head lift up and he glanced sideways once more at Ja'aris. To his alarm he saw the watcher was practically snarling in his discomfort at being subjected to the same sensation.

"Wh-what's happening to us?" stammered Braxter, looking down to examine his arms and hands, convinced they were about to burst into flames. The tingling had developed into more of a stinging itch now.

"We're being read. This guy's strong, whoever he is." Ja'aris grunted through clenched teeth, biting off each word. "Not been read for a good few seasons. Powerful magic."

Braxter again looked past the stalagmites towards L'non, noticing that although he hadn't moved, hadn't so much as glanced over his shoulder since the figure had appeared, his tunic was moving slightly as if he stood in a breeze. If he was being "read" also, he hadn't lowered his guard. Braxter wouldn't either. Like Ja'aris, he clenched his teeth and waited for the discomforting sensation to pass.

Moments later it did and at the same time both the whistling sound and the faint wind also vanished. The figure dropped its arms to its sides and silence blanketed the cavern once more. Then the figure finally spoke.

"Ulrogg - hai atchi." Its voice was deep and sonorous and carried easily across the short distance to where Braxter stood. Although he heard the words clearly enough however, he did not understand their meaning.

"Son bracken des lamos. Non hai atchi!" L'non replied. If he felt any fear at that time he kept it well hidden and his voice was steady and clear.

The figure took a moment as if in contemplation of L'nons words in response to its own, before its head twitched slightly beneath its cowl and it gave its considered reply: "Perhaps."