Chapter 44

The people parted before them as they walked the short distance towards Boreham's main gate as if some invisible force moved aside the people in their way and then filled them back in again after they had passed. As a result it didn't take long before they were passing through the gate itself. Braxter glanced upwards and stared in open wonder at the height of the walls, the thickness of the walls, the sheer amount of walls. He began to think that maybe despite Randyl's words of warning, they might be safe here after all. The stones that formed the outer wall looked like they had been laid hundreds of years ago and they certainly didn't look like they would be moving any time soon. But then he thought back to the weapons that the Ulrogg had used - the pulsars - and the flying machines which which carried them through the skies, and he wondered how much longer these walls might yet stand for.

Four guards stood at the gate, searching and checking people before confiscating weapons and allowing entry. Another cart was being fastened to a horse as they passed - the cart was full of metal and wood, weapons and tools. The guards looked at their Captain as he passed by but did nothing to question or challenge him.

"Your men know who they follow - once again, they are a credit to you Captain." Randyl commented, making eye contact with one guard who held his nerve and managed to not look away too quickly.

"They're good men, as I said before. But I'll be honest with you - all the talk of these monsters has them nervous as turkeys before feast day. And with their nerves, some have got a little...excitable of late." The Captain spoke with unashamed pride, falling admirably short of arrogance.

"Trouble in the ranks?" Ja'aris smiled.

"Nothing too serious. Couple of them had a few disciplinary issues which needed ironing out. There they are now actually." He gestured with his head to the middle of the courtyard they were just walking into. Two gibbets stood with bodies hanging from them, slowly turning in the breeze, all life long since run out of them.

"You killed your own men?" exclaimed Braxter in astonishment.

"Had to. They took it upon themselves to get a load on in the tavern and then have their way with a couple of town folk. Women you understand. Well, more girls really. Don't get me wrong - there's places you can pay for that even inside these walls if that's your thing but in these times of trouble discipline needs to hold firm. Just thinking these might be your last days of living doesn't make any difference to the law and the Baron takes a dim view of those who think they can do whatever the hells they like. Even if there is an army at the door. Said to hang 'em and leave 'em there for everyone coming here to see. That way everyone will know that the law still applies."

"Makes sense." Ja'aris grunted and as he looked at the bodies he spat on the ground in front of them.

"No more "excitable" issues?" Randyl enquired innocently. Cotts shook his head.

"Nope, not a one. Everyone knows their job and what's expected of them now. And if we stick the 'gether and do just that I'm sure that whatever these beasts are, we'll show them the error of their ways in coming here." He smiled and patted the hilt of his sword confidently. Quick glances were exchanged between L'non and Ja'aris - doubt written across both their faces while Randyl smiled indulgently.

They continued walking around the courtyard, a wide road lying on the inside of the wall with buildings of various sizes marking the outer edges of the town proper. Although far from identical they were all made from the same grey stones lending a certain degree of uniformity to the otherwise irregular shapes and sizes. They also created a certain monotony which began to confuse Braxter after only a few minutes.

"How are we supposed to find our way around this place?" he wondered aloud. "Everywhere looks the same."

"Easy to get lost kid so you better stick close once we lose our guides." mumbled Ja'aris out of the side of his mouth. "You notice the numbers on the buildings?" he gestured with nothing more than a raising of his eyebrows but Braxter got the message and looked up at the nearest one he was passing. At first he couldn't see what the Watcher was referring to but after a few moments of bewildered staring he noticed a small black plaque fastened to the top corner, just beneath the roofing thatch.