Chapter 29

L'non took a few quick steps forward, throwing his arms wide and igniting his trick which lit up the area immediately surrounding himself and the others.

"Hold!" he called clearly and confidently. "We mean no harm!"

They had approached the village with caution, not knowing what to expect when they arrived but also being well aware that the simple fact that they were there might be enough to set off a general panic. Presuming that there was a populace still alive to be panicked by the four of them suddenly appearing.

When they were still a good distance from the village, perhaps a mile or more, they came upon the outrider. He was sat astride a horse - slim and trim, built for speed this one, not war - and watched them they as they approached. He wore dark clothes, which were layered to protect against the cold and waxed to hold off at least some of the rain. Clearly he was to hold his position for a good while. Slight of build and although he was older than Braxter, it wasn't by many summers. His lank, dark hair hung straight down either side of his face to his shoulders and as he shook it away from his eyes he gripped the reins of his mount with both hands.

On his first sight of them he turned and was about to bolt, presumably back to Heldaro to warn the villagers there of their impending arrival. On hearing L'nons command he didn't set off at a gallop but neither did he turn back to face them squarely or relax - rather he exercised caution while he decided if he was dealing with a threat and held his mount side on to them. He wrapped the reins around his clenched fists tightly, ready to flee at any moment.

"Who are you? What brings you to Heldaro?" His body language may have spoken of caution but his tone of voice screamed nervous fear. Braxter knew then that if the rider was allowed to report to the village that there were strangers approaching, that fear would spread like wildfire throughout the people there. Gods only knew how they might react. The last thing they needed was to be shot full of arrows as they walked on the village gates - defeated before their battle had even begun.

"We have come from Brookdale in the south. Our town has been attacked, our people slain and our homes destroyed." L'non continued to speak for them all, his words coming quickly, listing simple details so the rider could easily understand. "We seek shelter, food maybe. Water if nothing else." He had edged forwards as he spoke so that only a few feet separated them now.

"Brookdale, eh?" The man looked over each of them quickly, his eyes never stopping moving. "We don't want any more trouble. There's precious few of us left as it is after...after...those things..." his words trailed off.

"Then you were attacked also?" |L'non asked the question he already knew the answer to, trying the gain the riders trust as he took another step towards him. If he reached out with his hand he could almost have touched the horses bridle now.

"Yes. Although slaughtered while we slept in our beds is more like how it happened." He paused, chewing at his lip as he thought things over. His mount took the opportunity to dip its head and nibble at the damp grass, content to wait a while longer. Braxter guessed he must have relaxed his grip on the reins at least a little which could only mean one thing. He coughed as if to clear his throat.

"They told me to come out here to keep lookout for more of them coming back while we decide what's to be done. They didn't tell me what to do if anyone else showed up." He paused again, chewing at his lip some more then spat a gob of phlegm over his shoulder before continuing. "These are strange times, of that I'm in no doubt and in times like this I reckon we need all the friends we can get." Saying this he jumped lightly down from his horse, earning him a slight "chuff" sound in response but otherwise it continued to eat at the turf nonchalantly, and held out his hand to L'non. "Name's Drake, Darek Drake, and I'd be pleased to meet you..." Then he noticed the watcher's eyes.