Chapter 23

"When Erradin come to their end, however that may be, they have a choice. A final decision to make." Randyl spoke in a relaxed, conversational tone and leaned casually against a cluster of rocks as he did, looking like any regular person chatting nonchalantly to friends.

Braxter was struck by how many times he had seen him in this pose before but never under circumstances like these and never with such a tale as this. "They can choose to end their time, if they have had enough of their existence on this plane, in which case they simply die like anything else and move on to..." he paused for a moment, grinning widely, "whatever comes next. Or they can choose to carry on. What is known as the Mo Resta."

"Wait. What do you mean "carry on"?" Braxter interrupted.

"Just that. They can choose to not die. As it were. And there we have the literal translation of Mo Resta - no end. They can carry on their existence," Randyl held up a hand to prevent further interruption from Braxter, "albeit in a different form, which by virtue of what that form is, normally means a different existence altogether."

"So a kind of...reincarnation?" Braxter ventured the suggestion, thinking back to various stories told by the old timers in Brookdale on the odd occasions he had managed to covertly sneak into the tavern and overheard their tales. Randyl blinked rapidly for a moment as if surprised at this idea, then remembering that he too had overheard those same tales.

"In a way, yes. Only in order to carry on," he emphasised these words to show that it was the simplest way to explain what sounded to those listening like a much more complicated process, "there must be a subject host. What's more the host must be willing, without coercion or persuasion to voluntarily give itself to the Erradin otherwise the Mo Resta will fail...and both participants die."

Randyl paused then, allowing his words to sink in. Braxter kept his eyes on his friend, slowly putting the pieces together, and after a moment they fell into place.

"So, you're saying that you're now Erradin...or part Erradin? That you and Axis have joined up...or whatever? That...th...that you're a dragon?!?" Braxters words became louder and he spoke faster with each question as his thoughts worked themselves out, gaining momentum as they went along. In response Randyl smiled, then simply nodded his head once, meeting Braxters gaze all the while. To his credit Braxter took only one step backwards but his mouth opened slightly in a puzzled expression, although no further words blurted from his lips. Only one word was spoken after what appeared to be careful consideration. Very careful consideration.

"Okay."

Randyl burst into laughter then. "You see L'non? Ja'aris? Witness how the young and naïve, who has lived his entire life within a half days walk of the place he was born is able to accept the truth when you watchers," he spat the word as if in accusation before continuing, "are so unwilling to believe. Even when you know in your hearts what is true. You who are travelling the land, beholders of all, defenders against the evils of the world - too closed minded to see that which is right in front of you. Even now I see the disbelief in your eyes, even now I see the urge to kill rather than accept." He aimed the last comment at Ja'aris who lowered his head, breathing deeply as if trying to control himself, fighting his natural urges.

Neither watcher spoke.

"Very well. Perhaps it may help if I show you." Randyl spoke with an air of resignation, as if conceding that there was nothing else to be done, then immediately flung his arms out to either side of him.

At his command, flames burst from all around him, rolling over his limbs and chest, pouring from his eyes and shrouding his head. The heat from them caused L'non and Ja'aris to take several evasive steps backwards and towards one another defensively although the flames did no damage to Randyl's clothing as far as they could tell. Braxter had also taken several steps backwards and stumbled to the watchers side, holding up one hand to shield himself from the heat which poured off his friend while still trying to look around his hand for fear that he miss anything.

The roar from the flames was loud but that itself was drowned out by the roar which tore out of Randyl as he threw back his head and screamed aloud at the caverns ceiling high above. After a moment or two the screaming ceased but echoes came back to them from the walls and from inside the long tunnels leading from the cavern for many more moments after.

Randyl stood before them consumed by flame yet unharmed, and he lowered his head to face them. A terrifying countenance, almost demonic in nature had taken over his features, with eyes burning white hot like miniature suns shining from twin slashes in his face. He opened his mouth to let out a roar of laughter and flames rolled and coiled beyond his bright white, pointed teeth, making the insides of his mouth look more like the inside of a blacksmiths smelting furnace than anything human. Or natural.

Even more alarming still was the image which took form around and above Randyl - that of a huge dragon, the size of which when it fully materialised could barely be contained, even within a cavern of this immense size. With scales of deep crimson edged in green and an underbelly of shining gold, it stood on four huge, muscular legs, each ending in an enormous clawed foot which housed spear-like talons. It stared down at them baring its razor sharp, sword-sized teeth and glared at them with blue-green eyes flecked with gold.

And at once and as one, L'non, Ja'aris and Braxter were convinced and believed.