Chapter 43

Clouds blanketed the sky, thick and white, although nobody looked up at them or took any notice. With so many things going on below why would anybody? One of natures great dichotomies saw the sky above Kreaton being completely still and calm after recent disruptions while down below was a maelstrom of unrest and uncertainty. The people of Kreaton were preoccupied fighting for their lives, or at the very least running for them, to pay any attention to something as uninteresting as a sky full of clouds. And even if they hadn't been, there wasn't a great deal there which could hold their interest for very long - a solid, broad expanse of white cloud, nothing out of the ordinary and certainly no hint at what was hidden above it and flying straight towards them.

One section of that blanket of white clouds suddenly began to churn as if gripped by a storm which didn't know which way it should be blowing. It folded in on itself again and again resembling river rapids more than clouds now. A faint orange tint appeared to discolour the clouds, circular in shape and quite small at first but quickly growing and as it grew it became darker until it was a burnt orange. It continued to grow with every moment that passed until the burnt orange was red, red at it's centre and spreading and fading to light orange around it's perimeter.

A perimeter which was very far away from it's centre.

The craft burst through the clouds, buffeting them out of the way as it broke through them silently, it's heat shields which glowed bright red quickly cooling as it's dampeners took control and dissipated the heat. It drove towards the ground like an unstoppable force but slowed quickly, enormous and graceful and with barely a sound. Had it hovered over Brookdale it's shadow would have meant that no part of the village would have seen the sun again, such was it's mass but it's reverse thrusters and air-brakes were enough to halt it's decent, just as they had countless times before on other worlds. Dark grey metal steamed and ticked as it cooled and acclimatised to the new atmosphere. Blue running lights became visible around it's edges and underside as the red-hot glow faded, turned to orange and then disappeared entirely. Until eventually it hung in the sky, silent and unassuming, as if it had every right to be there. As if it belonged there.

As if it was home.