001

The weather is nice today. The sun is up in the sky but it does not burn when the rays touch their skin and the wind blows softly, making the leaves of the trees sway along with it. Areum stands quietly at the palace balcony, admiring the view of the vast sea before her.

This day seems to be peaceful, too peaceful that it makes Areum's insides twist.

"Vhrea declared a ceasefire last week." Her lover says from behind, his arms wrapped around her waist with his chin rested on her shoulder.

"That's... that's good news, I guess?"

The Kingdom of Vhrea and the Kingdom of Meri, which is theirs, have been rivals ever since the time of their ancestors, fighting over territory, resources, alliances, and almost everything that the sun touches. It was five years ago when Vhrea tried to claim Zlato as theirs and it enraged the people. It wasn't a surprise that they took interest in the city that was indeed close to their zone because it was very rich in gold but it clearly belongs to Meri. The other was so adamant about it, started stationing men on the city's borders, exploited the land, terrorized the people, and of course, the oppressed won't stay silent forever. It didn't take long before they retaliated and declared war against Vhrea. The battles took place on the borders which kept the main cities still functioning and have the palace untouched but it doesn't change the fact that it threatened the security of the citizens of both kingdoms. The casualty continues to rise and the economy is suffering which could be the most probable reason for the ceasefire or maybe they simply got tired of their bullshit and wanted to finally have some quiet. That's less likely though because from what she heard, the people over there are quite prideful.

"That also means that I get to be here more often." He tells her softly.

"Does that also mean you'll finally fulfill your promise?" Areum asks, looking at the diamond-encrusted ring around her finger, but she gets no response. She feels the arms around her waist grasp her tightly followed by a heavy sigh.

"The royal family of Vhrea will visit in two days." He replies instead, evading her question.

"What for? I thought the matters were already discussed at the borders?"

He doesn't respond again. There was a long stretch of silence between them and only the soft waves of the sea along with the chirping of the birds can be heard.

She turns around to face him properly and, finally seeing the pure worry in his eyes. "Jungkook, there's something you aren't telling me."

"I'm afraid I'm not in the position to tell you." His expression became unreadable, guarded to be exact.

"I'm still the princess of this country, Jungkook, and it's an order. Tell me everything." She hates it so much, having to rub their ranks on his face but this is the only way to have him speak up because she knows him very well. He bottles up everything most of the time and it takes every effort to break down his walls. He casts his gaze on the floor, looking apologetic and this immediately makes her feel waves of guilt.

Just as she was about to say something, she sees her personal guard approaching.

"Your highness, I'm sorry to interrupt." Jimin speaks, acknowledging her presence before shifting his gaze to Jungkook "The king is requesting for Lieutenant Jeon's presence." She nods because it's not like she can do anything about her father's requests. Her lover bids her a short goodbye and the silence of their parting follows through the next few days. Jungkook becomes unusually silent around her and always seems to be deep in thought. He's so close to her yet Areum feels like she can no longer reach him anymore. He feels so distant even until that day comes, the day that the royal family of Vhrea arrived.