Chapter Ten

Dumbledore:

I'm just writing a letter to the Ministry to try and acquire a time turner in order to return James, Lily, Remus, Peter and Black back to their own time, 1975, when I hear a knock on my door. "Come in!" I say, unsure of who it is. Severus Snape walks in dragging James Potter in disguise along with him. A million thoughts run through my head in that moment. Does Severus know their true identities? Did James let something slip? Or maybe he said something that Severus would instantly recognize, such as calling him by an old nickname that only he would know? I try to act normally, and say, "Ah, Severus. Is there an issue here?". "Yes, there most certainly is, Headmaster. Mr Alexander here believes that he is above respecting me and was extremely rude. I have given him a year of detention. I won't even tell you some of the thing he has said. Please deal with him accordingly, and I would very much agree with you if you decide for him to be expelled." Severus says, coolly. "Ok, Severus. I shall deal with Mr Alexander here. You had best get back to your class." I say in reply, curious as to what it is James has said that has annoyed Severus so much. He curtly nods his head and leaves the room.

When I am sure that he is gone, I turn to James and say, "Mr Potter. Please explain to me what you said that has annoyed Professor Snape so much.". He tells me how Severus was extremely rude to Lily Evans in disguise when she answered a question. James says that he was defending her and that no one is allowed to talk to her like that. Personally, I believe that this is quite admirable of him, standing up for the girl he loves even before she even likes him. he believes that Lily Evans should be treated with the upmost respect, something that I remember being and particularly poignant in their marriage later on. However, he then goes on and explains, a little sheepishly, about how Severus came and stood menacingly over him, and how he said 'Oh, Batman's coming to get me!'. I thought this was actually quite funny and clever, however I can't say that to James.

"Now Mr Potter," I say, frowning sternly, "It doesn't sound like you are treating Professor Snape with the same respect that you are showing to the other teachers. I specifically asked you to and as you disobey me you shall have to do a reasonable punishment. You do not have to do any punishment Professor Snape set you. You will instead be doing a month of detention with me.". I stop here, and James nods. He says, "It's just. Professor, it's hard for me to treat Snivelly Snape like a teacher. In my head, he is still a classmate of mine and the same age as me. It's just....weird.". I sigh, "I understand Mr Potter. However, you must try, as if you slip up Professor Snape could figure out your real identities and that wouldn't be good.". "But why not, Professor! What happened that was so bad that we can't tell the people that know us who we really are? I'm just a bit confused, that's all. Moony..." he says, pausing here after seeing my confused expression, "Remus seems so broken and I....I don't know why! Why is he like that? I'm beginning to think that something really bad must have happened because Pads, Wormy and me....Sirius, Peter and me would never let something happen to him. I know about his condition, and I know that it can take a toll on him. But we can help him! I know we can, and we do help him! So, can you please just explain this to me, Professor?".

I take a deep breath. I had a feeling that this would come up sooner or later. "Mr Potter, I am afraid that you....you and Mr Pettigrew are both dead. Mr Black betrayed you to Voldemort, and murdered Mr Pettigrew, along with a street full of muggles. I'm sorry." I say solemnly. I'm expecting the worst. Screaming and shouting. Throwing things. Maybe even some tears. But, no. He bursts out laughing. James Potter bursts into peals of hysterical laughter when I tell him of his friends and his fate. "You can't be serious?" he says, between laughs. He doesn't believe me. Actually, that does kind of make sense. Of course he wouldn't believe it.

"Actually, Mr Potter. I am. There has actually been a lot of coverage of this recently. The fact that Sirius Black betrayed you to Voldemort is not well known. However, the fact that he murdered Mr Pettigrew and a street full of muggles with one spell, is extremely well known. His name is heard alongside Lord Voldemort's. Apparently, Black believed that he would be second - in - command once Voldemort took over. However, Lord Voldemort's downfall came just as Black revealed himself as a traitor. Apparently, Mr Pettigrew was the only person who knew of Black's betrayal, so he attempted to catch Black himself. Sirius Black destroyed him. The largest Part of Peter they found was his finger. And now, Sirius Black has become the first person to ever escape from Azkaban. You may have noticed the dementors surrounding the school, they are here because of Black. Do you understand?" I say, slowly so that he can fully comprehend what I am saying.

James shakes his head in disbelief. "There's no way! You don't actually believe this Professor? Sirius hates the Dark Arts more than anything in the world - his entire family is obsessed with them. Sirius would NEVER betray me, and anyone who thinks that he would is someone that I can't trust. I would trust Sirius Black with my life in a heartbeat. I'm going to find him. I'm going to find him and I'm going to hug him. Tell him that I'm sorry that he had to stay in Azkaban. I'm going to hug my brother, because that's what he is. I would die for Sirius Professor, and I truly believe that he would do the same for me. I'm going to find out the truth, and clear his name." he says, standing up at the end, "Goodbye, Professor.". And with that he leaves my office.

I am certain that Sirius Black was the Potter's secret keeper. I decide to refrain from telling James about his marriage to Lily and their son Harry. I think that hearing the news about the betrayal of his best friend would be more than enough for him to take. But he's in denial. He does not believe that Sirius Black would betray him. But he did.

Didn't he?