Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4:

"The thing that bothers me most," Councillor Emery said bluntly. "Is while we- the rest of us- continue in the dark about this... elf; you can remember everything about her."

"In the dark?" Bronte questioned coldly. "I think you need to reevaluate your definition of in the dark. I have told you everything I know."

"Yes," Grady agreed. "But how is it exactly, that you know so much."

"I think we would all like to know," Dame Alina drawled.

Noticing Bronte's uncomfortable shrug, Terik quickly interjected. "Does it matter how he managed to garner all of this exigent information? I mean, how does it affect the mission to find this woman, anyhow?"

"It doesn't," Bronte cut in shortly. "It is irrelevant to the standing goal, or... mission."

"And what would that be?" Emery asked, his voice faltering.

"To find her."

"Hold on," Keefe said, his tone bordering accusatory. "How do you plan on finding this woman whilst we don't even know her first name?"

"For once," Grady said quietly. "I agree with Keefe. Above all else, we don't even know this supposed woman's name, much less her role in all of... this." He gestured to Keefe and the rest of the council.

"We may have yet to obtain the woman's name," Bronte started. "But I think I may know where to find her."

"Before we try and find her," Oralie spoke softly. "I am curious as to what role she plays on the allies front. Finding allies in this upcoming war should be our main priority, not trying to find out the forgotten secrets."

"She brings up a good point," Emery commented indifferently "Finding the secrets is an additional plus at most; it would be nice...conducive at best. We are in dire need of allies, not more pathetic knowledge."

"Yeah," Biana said almost reluctantly. "What, does she have a big hidden stash of army soldiers at her disposable?"

"No. She has something better."

"And what would that be?" Wylie prompted softly, making Sophie jump; she had forgotten he was in the room.

"She has the unique ability to... unite good and evil alike," Bronte said. "She is the most useful of the seemingly-needless allies out there. She can unite all of the elves and intelligent species under one banner, once and for all."

"What do you mean 'unite all of the intelligent species'?" Stina asked hesitantly, quoting him. "Don't we have a treaty or something that keeps us from attacking each other?"

"Yes, we do," Emery cut in, his tone brisk with annoyance. "But there are rebels; and not just elvish ones. Every species is dealing with their own resisting parties, resisting the governments lead, and more importantly, resisting the treaty."

"What do you mean, resisting the treaty?" Keefe asked, his eyebrows knit in confusion.

"There have been attacks," Dame Alina said coldly. "The other intelligent species are unhappy with our rule; the elves constant dominance over their reign. Our relationships with the other standing species are weakening, even the other leaders have written us off. Why else would we be so desperate for allies? The Neverseen has turned all of strong, lasting relationships with our long-established allies into nothing. They have turned every last person against us."

"Who's to say we didn't do that ourselves?" Terik questioned knowingly.

"Of course we did," Oralie replied curtly, shocking Sophie with her tone. "But that is hardly the point. We need to find this woman, strike a bargain, and continue our reigning peace in the elven world."