5

Draco Malfoy found comfort in the sound of the wind blowing through the air on the quidditch pitch

He was standing with his hands at his sides, looking up at the sky to see dementors flying in the distance.

"Is Draco Malfoy scared of dementors?" Max called over the wind with a smile, Draco turning to train his glare on the Gryffindor.

"It's hard not to be scared of something you don't know how to defend yourself against."

"You don't know the patronus charm?"

Draco shook his head, raising an eyebrow at Max's amused smile.

"I'll teach you."

"You know the charm?"

"My godfather taught me."

Max pulled out his wand, stepping closer to Draco as he gestured for the Slytherin to do the same.

"When you cast it you have to focus on the happiest memory you have, the one that keeps you up at night with a smile on your face."

Draco nodded hesitantly, pulling his wand out slowly.

"What memory is that for you?"

Max was quiet for a moment, looking Draco up and down.

The Slytherin didn't understand what Maxwell was thinking, but it was clear he was going against his better judgment.

"Promise not to laugh?"

Draco wanted to roll his eyes, but he seemed to notice how vulnerable the Prince boy seemed, so instead he gave a sharp nod.

"I have this ancient memory of my parents," Max laughed lightly, "it's pretty blurry, but it's the happiest I've ever been. My father dropped me, and I was screaming and crying and I wouldn't stop for hours, so him and my mother sang to me."

Draco found himself smiling at the story, well aware of the way Max seemed shy all of a sudden.

"I've never told anyone that."

"It's safe with me," Draco assured him softly.

Max met Draco's eyes, smiling as he nodded.

He watched as the Malfoy took a deep breath, holding his wand up with a shaky hand.

"Expecto patronum."

Both boys watched a small light flickered from his wand, dying in the air.

"That was terrible."

"Not for a first try," Max laughed. "What were you thinking of?"

"My mother. I used to help her plant flowers in her garden."

"That sounds like a good memory." Max walked closer to Draco, hands in his pockets as he thought over his next words. "But I don't think that's the happiest one you have, is it?"