2

Max had stayed with Cedric until it was time to go back to Hogwarts, Amos having sent Arthur a letter that he was safe

And when he entered his friends' compartment on the train he looked like death. There were dark circles under his eyes, and his hair was sticking up in all different directions.

On top of that his tie was loose, and barely handing on to his neck. Overall, he looked like a mess.

Frankly, he was a mess. Max hadn't slept the whole time he had been away, terrified something awful had happened.

"Where have you been?" Ron gaped, standing and pulling Max into a tight hug.

"Cedric's house, horrified that something happened to one of you three. Does your father not write letters anymore, Ron?"

Max sat next to Harry with a huff, Hermione leaning across to him to fix his tie.

"You look terrible," Harry smiled.

"Gee, thank you, Chosen One."

"You heard about the Dark Mark?" Hermione asked, holding out the newspaper to Max. "How can the ministry not know who conjured it? Wasn't there any security?"

"Loads," Ron nodded. "According to dad. That's what worried them so much. Happened right under their noses."

"It's hurting again, isn't it?"

Ron and Max looked at Hermione curiously.

"His scar."

Max turned to Harry, the boy holding a hand to his forehead.

"He looks just fine."

"I am fine," Harry assured Maxwell.

"You know Sirius will want to hear about this? What you saw at the World Cup and the dream."

Max turned out Hermione's scolding, slumping in his seat and taking a much need nap.

"Well, now we're all settled in and sorted,
I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well."

Max watched tiredly as Dumbledore spoke, his head resting against Harry's shoulder as he tried to keep his eyes open.

He would've fallen asleep too, if not for the loud banging the doors of the Great Hall made when Filch ran in.

"You see Hogwarts has been chosen-"

Dumbledore stopped at Filch ran up to him, the two whispering back and forth sharply. 

"What do you think that's about?" Harry whispered, among the other students in the Great Hall.

"Probably about how much of a massive git he is," Max replied through a yawn.