4

Hermione and Max both had books in hand in the Great Hall as they watched students after student put their names in the Goblet

Max was on edge, just waiting for someone he knew to walk up and put their name in.

"Look," he whispered to her. Hermione's head snapping up to see one of the Drumstrang boys walking up, and putting in his name without any hesitation. "What do you think?"

"He seems nice," she shrugged.

"You think he could win if he gets picked?"

"Hardly," she giggled.

"And Fleur Delacour? I heard she put her name in already. I think she could win."

"Come on, Cedric. Put it in!"

Max's heart dropped at the voice, throwing his book to the ground as he rushed off the bench.

The Gryffindor stepped in front of a beaming Cedric, the Hufflepuff acting as innocent as possible.

"Cedric, do not even think about it."

All the spectators in the Great Hall hummed in interest, knowing how close Max was to the elder boy.

"Think about what?"

"Don't be an idiot, I beg of you. There are far too many people who care about you."

"People meaning you?" Cedric gave a soft chuckle.

"You know I adore you, Cedric," he rolled his eyes.

"Then you will let me do this." Cedric smiled as he stepped around the Prince boy, squeezing his shoulder as he went. "For what it's worth, I appreciate your concern, Princey."

Max rolled his eyes at the nickname, Cedric's loud laughter echoing throughout the halls as he put his parchment into the Goblet.

Hermione passed Max his book as he took his seat back beside her, huffing as he did so.

"If he gets hurt you're never going to hear the end of it from me."

"I expect nothing less," Hermione grinned.

Suddenly, loud cheers once again entered the hall, Fred and George running in with a few other students following them.

"I don't know why I bother trying to study at this school," Max three his book down. "It's a new problem every year."

"Well, lads. We've done it."

"Cooked it up just this morning."

"It's not going to work," Hermione singsonged with a smug smile.

Fred and George moved over to the two, each on one side of Hermione.

"Oh, yeah?"

"And why's that, Granger?"