10

"Max, good you're here

"Max, good you're here."

Max glanced at Ron and Harry, the two boys looking as though they could've fallen asleep in the library.

"We figured out the clue in the egg."

"Oh, I know it already."

"You know it?" Mac jumped back, all three of his friends gaping as him.

"Cedric told me last week."

"You know?" They repeated.

"No one ever asks me if I know things! I figured you three had already found out."

"Speaking of not knowing things, why did you go to Yule Ball with Malfoy?" Ron questioned, clear resentment in his tone.

"Lost a bet with Ginny is all." Max swallowed harshly as he took a seat beside Harry, knowing the girl would cover for him if someone were to ask. "I had a terrible time really."

Hermione placed her hands at her temples, shaking her head with a short sigh, not liking that Max was lying to their friends.

"Harry, tell me again."

"Come seek us where our voices sound."

"The Black Lake," Hermione sighed. "That's obvious."

"An hour long you'll have to look."

"Again, obvious. Though, admittedly, potentially problematic."

"Potentially problematic?" Harry echoed. "When's the last time you held your breath underwater for an hour, Hermione?"

"Look," she sat down next to Harry. "Harry, we can do this. The four of us can figure it out."

"Hate to break up the skull session." Max huffed lightly, rolling his eyes and turning to see Professor Moody. "Professor McGonagall would like to see you in her office."

Harry moved to stand, ushering Max to do the same.

"Not you two. Just Weasley and Granger."

"But sir, the second task is only hours away and-"

"Exactly. Presumably, Potter and Prince are both well prepared by now and could do with a good night's sleep. Go, now."

Max sighed, resting his hands over his face as Ron and Hermione left the library. The tournament was keeping the boy up at night, not knowing what could happen.

"Longbottom," Moody called. "Why don't you help these two put away their books?"

Max rubbed his eyes, turning to give a smile to his friend.

"Hey, Neville."

"Hey, Max," the boy smiled back. "You know, if you're interested in plants, you'd be better off with Goshwak's Guide to Herbology. Do you know there's a wizard in Nepal who's growing gravity resistant trees?"