2✅

Stacey.

Sunday, September 25.
9:35pm.

  Things have gone really crazy today, I cried a bit when I heard what happened to Mikel, but I could not cry in front of the kids at the orphanage, and also I had to rush to my hospital since there was an emergency.

"Doctor James." Rosie called, she was not only a doctor, but also my friend, we were childhood friends ever since I was nine, then I just relocated to Lagos.

"What is wrong?" I asked as we both moved swiftly into the emergency room.

I'm starting to hate my job, that minute when you have important family issues to attend to, they start calling your name 'Doctor James we need you at the emergency room stat.'

I checked the wall clock before swinging into the emergency room, 9:39 pm.

I couldn't cry my eyes out in front of the kids at the orphanage and now work is preventing me from crying, I want to pour out all the sadness in my heart, pour out those tears full of emotions.

Mike is dead... It kept replaying in my head, I couldn't save Mike but I can save this patient that looks very much familiar.
But I was too busy thinking of Mikel as I focused on the wounds.

Didn't care to know who the patient was even though he looked very familiar, I just wanted to go home when I'm done treating this shit.

"What happened?" I asked one of the nurses as we began the operation.
He had severe cuts and injuries and I was really not sure I could save this one.

"Got run over by a van." the nurse replied, I did as if I did not hear... I cared less but still I don't want to loose a patient.

He laid unconscious in what seemed like a pool of blood.

"Where have you guys been." Doctor Timi asked looking frustrated, I just ignored him and shoved my hands into gloves.

"There is no time to argue, I don't want to loose a patient." I said totally ignoring him, I did not spare him a simple glance.
He is probably fuming, I'm the head here and no operation is carried out without me, Rosie got everything we needed ready with the other three nurses.

*******

We were done and It seemed like we treated the patients for hours.
I checked my watch to see that it was already 11pm

I wanted to go home, even though normally I'd  slept at the office in the on call room, then drive home the next day when I get the day off. I know I fought with Mike but he is still my husband.

And Lilian does not know about it yet.

"You are going already?" Doctor Timi asked when he saw me rushing to my car.
I just nodded before opening the car with the remote not caring to look back, I pulled the door open.

"Won't you eat dinner with the others." he asked again, he is unaware of my husband's sudden death.

"I can't wait, I have to go." I said before twisting the keys to start the car, I still did not look at him as I rushed starting the car.

Rosie came running, We usually went home together, but now I am not sleeping at the office, I have to rush home.

"Wait for me!" she yelled before swinging into the front passenger seat, I drove out of the hospital immediately she got into the car.

"Why the rush, abeg slow down." She said before pulling her seat belt, I did not bother to do mine and I drove roughly, Rosie could notice something was wrong.