chapter 9

I WORKED ALL throughout the night

After finally breaking and moving the fallen beam across the counter, I disposed of it around the back. Now the space was open, and I could see clearly.

I only dared to keep one lamp on for light, since the waxing gibbous moon provided little glow. I channelled the storm inside of me into sweeping and moping, and scrubbing out the stains on the floor.

It was merely a distraction.

If I was not doing something, if I was not constantly active in some way, my mind would wander. It kept going back to Georgia and her dream.

If I had flashes of it without much effort, what had it been like for her? How did she sleep at night?

Even for me —it was too much. How could her parents have thrown her out like that, in the aftermath of a war? Maybe all she needed was patience.

I could not be a mother or father, but while she was here, I decided that I would be responsible for Georgia. I was letting her stay, so I had to do my best to make her feel welcome and safe.

Things that I had probably taken for granted.

Things that she had been denied. And I had felt the desperation for them in her grip.

I shivered.

There was no outward evidence that Georgia had forcefully grabbed my hand. There would never be any. But I could feel that sense of mistreatment, inside. I wondered if it would ever go away.