Abbah Is Getting Married Again

"Noorur-rahman Adam!" I heard my name being called across the class for the second time. It's the chemistry teacher doing a row call, I wonder why they still give values to attendance when everyone writes the exams. Anyway from my seat I raised my hands up, indicating I was present. "Noor-rahman, are you?" The teacher asked surprised, or whatever look was that on his face, I have no idea.

"Which is why I am raising my hand, it's not because I am stretching." I sacarstically replied looking through the window, at the moving vehicles down the road like small objects. Our class was on the fifth floor and the last floor that's why things appeared smaller. It just so amazing to view from up here, one peak of sitting by the window seat like my seat, is some kind of an escape for a boring class.

"Noorur-rahman, ain't you supposed to be wearing a hijab then?" He asked again with a confused face, I don't why my name always give room for discussion. It is just a name for goodness, they should get over it already.

"Ain't you supposed to be minding your business? Just go on with your attendance." I said back to him and almost all the boys chuckle while I received glares from the girls. Now I am the bizarre one among the girls, since I do not find interest in their new found hobby, which is none other than flattering the substitute teacher.

"Noor, calm down!" Asad whispered from beside me.

"Just leave me alone, Sad. Why does it matters to him if I am not wearing a hijab?"

"You're being rude and distracting my class, I will ask you to step out if you won't shut up." I looked up him at with my scowl deepening, suddenly he think he act beyond his level, I have had it with all of them.

"You don't get to send me out, in case you have forgotten, you're just a mere substitute. You still don't have the right to act on anything, so just mind your damn business." And the whole class was quiet looking betweem me and the substitute. I might have gone too far. But I don't care, he don't get to say that to me. I'm not ready to listen to anyone reprimand today.

"This is not the first time you try to disrespect me, Ms Adam. I hope you will respect yourself when next we meet, because this is the last time I will tolerate your arrogance. If I am here standing in front of you, is because I know what you don't and I gain the right to be your teacher. Call me whatever you want, but you can't change the fact that, I taught you something." He looked pretty upset with a warning look, that could scare but not, since it's not working on me. With that being said and Asad's pleading eyes, I stayed quiet for his seek.

But that's not over, I dare him to do the worst he can. He continue calling the rest of the attendance while I fume from the inside.

"Noor, what's that?" Asad asked worriedly when we went out on our lunch break.

"What's what?"

"Come on, you have been grumpy all morning, the teacher have nothing to do with your bad mood?" He reasoned, and it wasn't less than truth. The teacher have nothing to do with my sour mood. I was anyway use to all the muslim teachers commenting on my hijab, as if it was a big deal. For their information I don't need to cover anything.

"Will you stop blocking my way." I was trying to walk pass him but he won't let me, his insistence is annoying most of the time.

"You got to stop that, Noor. You don't want that man to report or complain about you to Mrs Naomi."

"What's the worst that can happened, uhm?"

"Come on, bestie. You don't have to be so hard on yourself, I am worried about you, Noor."

"Don't worry for me, now will you give some space? I need to be alone." He moved a from my front, dejected, I inwardly sighed at his worried expression. He have always been like that though. His father have been a friend of abbah for the longest time and Asad have always been in my life. So he is the most worried about me outside my home. He have been there like the true friend he is, even though there are times I was so mean to him. If I were him I will have long ditched me. I knew for a fact I won't tolerate someone like me.