thirteen

༶•┈ 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 ┈•༶
┊͙ˏˋ 𝐜𝐡. ⓭ ࿐ྂ

Dressed in a fine, navy suit and a pair of black oxfords, the gentleman walked into the building with a face of bricks. In any other clothes, he would've appeared too young for the job. His movements were unhurried and with purpose, as he analyzed a chart in his hand.

"Good morning," the front desk lady said as soon as she saw him come in.

For a split second he looked up from his papers and flashed her a bright smile, "Morning."

The gentleman was greeted with warm smiles as he made his way down the hall. He was the kind of person you wouldn't be afraid to ask for directions on the street and had a lovable smile you couldn't help but become mesmerized with.

Nayeon, an older colleague, bolted towards him when she noticed his presence, "Ahh, you're finally here! I need your help!"

He looked up from his papers once again and cocked his head to one side. "What is it?"

"You see the little girl over there? Someone called in for her but she was taken here alone," she paused. "She's been here since five am and none of us have been able to get a single word out of her!" Nayeon flailed her arms up in frustration.

He raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. "So you want me to try to talk to her?"

"Yes," she dragged each syllable slowly. "You of all people will definitely be able to get something out of that kid," she said and clasped her hands together in a pleading manner. "At least give it a shot...?"

He let out a deep sigh and simply nodded. His colleague was bouncing up and down, distracting the other workers with her signature happy dance.

"You owe me!" He said with his back towards her.

On a plastic hallway chair sat a child, legs kicking in the air, clearing the floor by several inches as they swung back and forth.

The gentleman was mesmerized by the red rubber boots on her feet and blue duffle coat, somehow the kid reminded him of Paddington Bear. Her face had an unhealthy look to it and her eyes were hard open as she stared at nothing on the wall.

He stopped.

The girl's legs weren't swinging in the care-free way he had first assumed. Each one was more like a kick, sharp and pointed.

The gentleman took off his spectacles and crouched down in front of her, letting the girl see his white coat and stethoscope, and brushed his black bangs from his face.

"Hi there," he flashed her a smile which she simply ignored and diverted her eyes elsewhere.

"I have a couple of candy bars in my office, do you want to come with me and dwell into some sweets?" he said softly as he watched her intently, looking to see if there was any changes in her expression.

At the word 'candy,' the little girl's eyes widened. She nodded her head and interlocked her teeny tiny fingers with his much longer fingers as if she was already prepared to go with him.

His and his colleagues' face were of shock and surprise. He turned back and flashed Nayeon a small cocky grin in which she angrily whispered, "It was that easily?!"

When he led the little girl into his office, she immediately climbed onto his desk and grabbed a chocolate bar out of the candy basket.

She dwelled into it like there was no tomorrow and covered the entirety of her face with melting chocolate. He watched her in amusement with his chin propped on his palm.

"Do you want to tell me your name now?" He said and the girl became still.

She was quiet for a moment and sat back further into the chair. Her eyes lowered to the ground as she wilted before him.

"I'm not a bad guy sweetheart," he lightly chuckled and brushed a strand of hair away from her face.

The little girl looked up and eyed him for a second. She hesitantly plopped off the chair and inched herself toward him slowly but surely, and placed her mouth beside his ear.

His face suddenly fell faster than a corpse in cement boots when he heard what she whispered. In that instant, his skin became greyed, his mouth hung with lips slightly parted and his eyes were as wide as they could stretch.

The little girl pulled back and stared at him as she waited for a response, but didn't get one.

He tilted his head up to look at her and his soft lips stretched into a smile. His eyes were lit with sadness, and the forced expression of the contrary on his mouth made the little girl's heart feel heavy.

"I'm Doctor Jeon, it's nice to meet you Eunha."