Chapter 16: Darkest Hour part II

A/N: This is a little steamier than usual towards the middle. I don't think the rating needs to change since most young adult books have those types of scenes now these days anyway. Again, I'm trying not to repeat the book canon scenes since we have the books for that, but the chapter now takes place right when the trio gets back to the Burrow in the 7th book. Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.

A while later, the trio had made it safely back to the Burrow from retrieving Harry from the Dursleys.  Harry had rushed over to hug Ron and Hermione, and Tonks had gone on about how Ron had been amazing. Ron looked offended at the look of shock Hermione had given him and muttered, "Always the tone of surprise."

Hermione gave him another look, and rolled her eyes, though she smiled at him. She suddenly remembered where they were and looked around for Fred. "Where's Fred?" she asked Harry after she saw he wasn't in the yard.

Harry winced. "He's not back yet. I'm sorry."

Hermione closed her eyes and Ron patted her shoulder comfortingly. "He'll be ok. He's good at defense spells." Hermione nodded, though she still kept looking around for him.

Harry spoke again finally. "Hermione...you might want to prepare him," he said slowly.

She whirled around to look at him. "Prepare him for what?"

"George has been injured. He lost an ear."

Hermione's eyes widened. George was injured? Fred wasn't going to take that well. "I have to go see him!" She heard somebody else arrive as she was about to run inside so she whirled around. Her breath caught when she saw it was Fred. He looked fine, though tired. Hermione ran toward him and wrapped her arms around him. 

Fred lifted her off the ground slightly and kissed her deeply. "You're ok," he murmured, sounding relieved.

She nodded. "Yes," she said when they pulled apart slightly. "But George...he needs you." She looked down sadly.

Fred frowned at her. "George? George is hurt? Is he alive?" His eyes widened in fright.

Hermione bit her lip nervously as he studied her. "He...he..." she couldn't finish the sentence because Fred suddenly took off running toward the house.

Hermione threw a worried look at Harry and Ron before she ran in as well.

She stopped suddenly when she saw George on the couch...the sight of the blood made her gasp and place a hand on her mouth.

Fred was running a hand through George's hair softly. "Georgie?" His voice sounded terrified, so Hermione inched closer before placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. Fred looked up at her briefly before returning his attention to his injured twin.

"How are you feeling, Georgie?" Fred asked him. Hermione felt relieved when George finally opened his eyes at the sound of Fred's voice.

George gave Hermione a slight wink before looking back at Fred. "Saint- like," he breathed out.

Fred's eyes widened in terror as he turned toward their mother. "What's wrong with him?" he demanded to know.

George tugged on Fred's arm and pointed to his ear "Saint-like..." he spoke even louder. "You see...I'm Holy, Fred. Holey." A wide grin spread across George's face. "Geddit?"

A grin appeared on Hermione's face and Fred looked down at his brother in exasperation. "Pathetic. Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey?" He chuckled and shook his head as he looked over at Hermione. The relief on Fred's face was obvious.