Chapter 18- Not a normal couple

A/N: Hey guys! I'm not going to say much in this author's note, but thanks for the reviews and stuff! I decided not to have too many canon events in this chapter because we have the books for that, and that would've taken forever to refer back to. I'm sure you guys know what happens in the last few chapters anyway. Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling does. If I did, this would happen....

Hermione whirled around and grew still when she saw Fred standing there, wearing his usual grin. She hugged him tightly before pushing him away quickly.

Fred's amused look disappeared as he threw up his arms in defense. "Hey, what was that for?"

"We thought you were dead! Like...like..." Her eyes grew fearful as she glanced towards Ron's body again. Fred was moving, why wasn't Ron moving?

"No, I was just knocked out," Fred said, though he frowned when he saw the expression on her face. "Why are you looking like that? What's wrong?" He glanced at Percy and Harry and his frown deepened when he saw that Harry was crying.

Hermione walked past them and knelt down next to Ron's body. Her heart felt like it was breaking. She had thought for a few moments that her boyfriend was dead, but now her best friend was the one who was dead.

"No....no, no! Not Ron!" Fred scrambled over to the other side of Hermione and started shaking Ron frantically.

"Ron, wake up! Please...Ron, don't do this to me. I won't ever prank you again if you wake up. Please, Ron, please.... Wake up!" Fred hugged his brother tightly and he buried his head into his shoulder as he sobbed uncontrollably.

Hermione's heart broke a second time as she moved closer toward him and held him tightly. Fred was always there for her...it was her turn to be there for him. She started making soothing noises as she held him. Fred clung to her, though he was shaking as he sobbed. His shaking stopped after a while, though she didn't let go of him. She wouldn't let go until he said it was ok.

"He...he saved my life," Fred managed to say moments later. He glanced up at Hermione and Harry. "I'm so sorry...his death is all my fault. He'd still be here if it wasn't for me. You don't have your best friend anymore because of me..." his voice cracked again.

Harry's gaze had hardened, though Hermione hugged Fred again. "No, don't say that! You didn't cause this mess. It wasn't your fault. Ron was trying to protect you in the only way he knew how."

"It was my fault," Harry said suddenly. "I got us into this mess...it's my fault he's dead. So Fred, if you want to blame it on somebody, you can blame it on me."

Fred looked speechless for one of the rare times in his life. "Harry," he started to say, but Harry shook his head.

"No. This battle needs to end now. Before somebody else gets hurt." Harry walked away before they could stop him.

"Harry!" Hermione got up to follow him, but Fred placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her.

"We need to move Ron's body to a safer place...before the rest of this place falls apart on us."

Tears came at those words again, though Hermione took great heaving breaths to calm herself and nodded in agreement.

Fred's expression softened and he pulled her closely to him and kissed her forehead. "I'm so sorry," he murmured, brushing the hair out of her eyes.

Percy had taken off after Rookwood though Hermione could hardly blame him.

Hermione and Fred continued battling as they made their way to safety, even though there wasn't any safe place yet.