Chapter 17- Last thoughts

A/N: The reason this was delayed was because I originally have a George/Luna chapter before this in my original version, but I decided to eliminate that since this is a Fremione story. Maybe I'll post it as a side along one shot eventually, but I just didn't feel like it was fitting for this edited version. There's lots of canon moments in here since a lot goes on in the end obviously. If you recognize it, I don't own it. I'm also trying not to repeat all the scenes since we do have the books for that.

The Horcrux necklace felt heavy on Hermione's chest, and she shivered as she brought her blanket close to her. It was after Christmas Eve, though the fact made her sad. She wasn't with Fred this year, and she had no idea how many miles apart they were.

Harry walked over to her with an extra blanket and sat down. "You're thinking about Fred aren't you?"

Hermione nodded, and he sighed heavily. "I'm sorry, Hermione. I'm sorry I'm keeping you guys away from each other. You should be together."

She shook her head stubbornly. "You're one of my best friends," she said in a determined voice. "I'm right where I'm supposed to be. I'm trying to be strong, really. It's just a little harder some moments."

"I understand." He grew quiet with those words. She figured he was thinking about Ginny during that time, but she didn't want to say anything. She rested her head against his shoulder.

It wasn't until he was asleep when she suddenly remembered something.

The patented daydream charm!

Hermione dug quickly through her bag until she found the box. She hadn't planned on ever using it, but if there was ever a chance she needed to use it... her hands trailed around the box as she contemplated on what it would be like to use it. Would she dream about Fred?

In the end she decided not to use the charm. She didn't want to waste the charm...not when there might be harder times ahead. She brought the box to her chest and hugged it tight as she launched into her own daydream...where she was safe and warm in his arms. She didn't need a charm to conjure up her feelings for him.

***

Hermione was still shaking over her ordeal at the Malfoy Manor. Bellatrix had tortured her, and Ron hadn't left her side since they reached Shell cottage.

"I should've been the one who was tortured," Ron kept repeating countless times.

"I don't want to think about it right now," Hermione said as she sat down on the couch. She just wanted to sleep for now.

It was dark when she woke up several hours later. The door from the kitchen opened, and she could make out Fleur standing in the doorway. "Someone wants to see you," she said, beaming at Hermione. Hermione frowned at her, though before she could say another word, Fleur stepped aside to reveal...

Fred!

She wanted to sit up, though she found that she couldn't move.

Fred just stood at the door way, looking more serious than she had ever seen him. "You're alive," he murmured in a thick voice as he managed to walk over to her. Relief spilled over his face as he wrapped his arms around her.

Hermione wasn't sure if she should believe this really wasn't a dream, though she realized it wasn't when she sank into his arms. She buried her head into his shoulder as tears came down.

"It's ok, Hermione. I'm here, I'm here." He kept whispering words of encouragement and making soothing noises.

She didn't say anything for several minutes. She kept making sure that this really was Fred, not some vision she was having. The real version of him was definitely way better than any vision she had had during their months apart. Hermione looked up at Fred when his hands found the word Mudblood that was engraved into her arm.