Chapter 6: Imprisoned

I woke up to see Katara folding her sleeping bag up and Aang lying on the exposed roots of a tree. I snapped around to see Sokka not beside me “phew” I let out a sigh.Hopefully they didn't see us together.
Sokka was walking up towards us with a sack. “Great, you're back! What's for breakfast?” Aang asked him. “We've got a few options. First, round nuts and some kind of oval shaped nuts, and some rock shaped nuts that... might just be rocks. Dig in!” Sokka throws one of the nuts that might be a rock over his shoulder. It lands near Momo.
I shook my head as Aang and Katara shared a look. “Seriously, what else ya got?” Katara asked. Sokka peers with one eye into the bag, hoping to find something else while Momo snatched the nut/rock and looked at it in suspicion.He chitters and picks it up. He taps it on a nearby stone to no effect.Then he cocks back and raps it hard on the stone.

At that moment, a huge, startling noise disrupts the forest's calm. I stood up. “What was that?!” Sokka beckoned towards the noise. Momo looked at Sokka before banging his nut against the rock again and another huge banging noise was heard.
“It's coming from over there!” Aang pointed. I immediately rushed towards the noise with Aang and Katara following behind me leaving Sokka behind. “Shouldn't we run away from huge booms – not toward them?!” He waved his arms before sighing and following us.

I reached a river bed and hid behind a huge boulder. The others followed me. “An earthbender!” Katara whisper-shouted.”Let's go meet him!” Aang suggested. I got up and started walking towards him.”He looks dangerous, so we better approach cautiously.” Sokka whispered. “Hello there, I'm Y/N! What's your name?” I waved at him,completely ignoring Sokka’s warning.The young earthbender looks over at me in surprise, drops his rock and runs back down the river bed. As he runs, he earth bends a load of rock into the riverbed, blocking pursuit.

“Nice to meet you!” Aang yelled. “We just wanted to say ‘hi’.” Katara pouted. “ Hey, that guy's gotta be running somewhere, maybe we're near a village and I bet that village has a market!” Aang eyes lit up. “Which means no nuts for breakfast!” Katara and I high fived before we started running in the direction the earth bender went. “Hey! I worked hard to get those nuts!” I heard Sokka yell. “Yeh, I hate 'em too.” He muttered before catching up.

We ran into a small village, we walked around the streets checking out the markets until I spotted a cute hat. I ran over to the small stand. “Great hat. I'll trade you some nuts for it.” I said trying on the hat. I turn to Sokka and laugh as he scolds me for trading his ‘hard work’.

In the corner of my eye I saw Katara walk up to a small cottage. “Hey!” she shouted. We followed her into the house. “Hey, you're that kid! Why did you run away before?” she asked him.”Uh, you must have me confused with some other kid.” He tried to avoid us. “No she doesn't, we saw you earthbending.” Aang snitched by accident. “They saw you doing what?” The elderly woman closed the windows immediately. “They're crazy, mom, I mean, look at how they're dressed!” The gAang looked at their clothing as I checked out my hat. I think it’s pretty neat. “You know how dangerous that is! You know what would happen if they caught you earthbending” She scolds his son.

From outside a heavy knock on the door is heard and Sokka quickly parts the window blinds to identify the intruders. “Open up!” A rough voice shouted. “Fire Nation! Act natural!” Sokka whispered. The woman opens the door as we ‘unnaturally’ posed. Sokka grabbed an apple as Haru looked at in ‘thought’. Katara had her mouth full of berries with one in her hand ready to pop in her mouth as Aang and I pretended to stop mid-fight over a barrel of water. As the fire nation man scanned the room, Aang's hand went through the barrel as he was leaning on it,his face hitting the top of the barrel as he yelps.

“What do you want? I've already paid you this week.” His mother asked the soldier.”The tax just doubled. Wouldn't want an accident, would we?” The soldier produces a fireball in his hands and smiles. We all took a step back. “Fire is sometimes so hard to control.” He smirked.Haru's mother's expression melts from defiance to fear and resignation.She walks behind the counter and pulls out a chest.She opens it to reveal a few miserable coins. She takes most of them out and gives them to the soldier. “You can keep the copper ones.” He dumps the small ones on the ground. Before leaving,shutting the door behind him.