Chapter 8: Avatar Roku (Winter solstice, Part 2)

A/N: it's been awhile since I updated soo... I decided to do a double update (;

"Come on, boy! We've got a long way to go! Faster!" Aang ushered his bison. We were currently flying through the clouds while Aang was on Appa's head, maneuvering. 

"Aang, we got trouble." Katara said, motioning towards Zuko's ship. "Yeah, and it's gaining fast!" Sokka exclaimed. I moved to the back of the saddle to see his ship hot on our trail. Suddenly a giant catapult emerged from his ship with a giant ball on it. Zuko shot fire on it. "FIRE!" I heard him shout. "Fireball!" I shouted at Aang. "I'm on it!" He said before dodging it. As it flew by it had a horrible stench, I nearly gagged and plugged my nose with my fingers. "We have to get out of Zuko's range before he shoots another hot stinker at us!" Katara covered her nose with her hand. "Can't you make Appa go any faster?" Sokka choked out. "Yeah, but there's just one little problem." Aang said covering his nose.

I widened my eyes. It was a blockade made of fire nation ships. "If we fly north we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade. It's the only way." Aang explained. "There's no time." Katara exclaimed. "This is exactly why I didn't want you to come. It's too dangerous." Aang yelled at us. "And that's exactly why we're here." I yelled back. "Let's run this blockade." Sokka said, determined. "Appa! Yip! Yip!" Appa growls and goes even faster.

Suddenly each ship in front us launched a fireball towards our way. We all screamed and ducked down into the saddle for our safety.

I look up to see Aang trying to help Appa avoid the fireball bombardment. In front of us, 12 fireballs were shot through the clouds, smoke trailing behind them. Appa swerves to miss one on his left. The fireball bursts in front of us. We immediately start patting at the burns on Appa's fur. Aang goes up over the clouds, suddenly a bunch of other fireballs emerge from the clouds beneath us. We all scream as Appa swerves. Appa continued diving to avoid the fireballs. The smoke trails from multiple fireballs surround Appa.

Appa flies directly past it. Fireballs continue to shoot through the sky. Two fireballs collide and explode directly in front of Appa. Appa growls and rears up to avoid the combustion. He bucks and Sokka is thrown from his back. Katara screams and reaches out for Sokka. Sokka begins to fall and disappears into the clouds below. Aang screams Sokka's name and pulls hard on Appa's reins. Appa dives to catch Sokka before he hits the ocean.

As Sokka continues to fall, I reach out my hand to catch him.Our hands clasped together tight as I used all my strength to pull back and Sokka hits the saddle with a grunt. Appa hits the water, each of his six legs using the ocean's surface like a trampoline. He begins his ascent. A large pink fish is thrown up from the ocean and hits Sokka directly in the face. Sokka gasps and falls backward. The fish bounces off his face to be caught by a chittering Momo.

The Fire Navy ships let loose another barrage of fiery missiles. I squeeze my eyes shut. Appa, still close to the surface of the water, swerves back and forth as fireballs land in the ocean.

I opened my eyes to see A man who looked like Zhao with his right arm raised. "Fire!" He shouted.

A single fireball was shot at us. With a determined look on Aang's face, He leaps from Appa and assumes the airbending pose. Aang grunts and kicks a burst of air directly into the center of the approaching fireball. The fireball explodes from the inside out as a result of Aang's blast. The fragments form a halo of smoke and debris around Appa. Appa flies through the center of the halo.

Aang loses his balance amidst the flying rubble and is thrown back onto Appa's shoulders. Sokka and I immediately grabbed his arms to steady him. We flew right past the blockade. Aang raised his fist in the air in a sign of victory. "We made it!" he yelled out in joy. "We got into the Fire Nation...." Sokka slumped his shoulders "great" I finished.