Going Home

They started to move, Brooks steering as they headed to the exfil location.

Sandra felt a nagging pain on her stomach and lifted her blood stained shirt to find that the gash had been wrapped up.

     "We found that while we were trying to bring you 'round" Slivko explained as he pulled himself up next to her "What happened?"

     "I got cut on a rock while we were trying to find higher ground during the period we split" She explained briefly, dropping her soaked shirt back to cover herself.

Slivko handed her something and Sandra realized it was a shirt, a dry one.

     "I had an extra" He told her as she eyed him.

     "What about you?" She asked and he shrugged, pulling off his own shirt and laying out to dry.

Sandra rolled her eyes playfully, a small smirk etched on her lips as she took the shirt. She raised her eyebrows at him and he let out a laugh, turning away from her so she could quickly strip her shirt and put the new one on.

     "Are you decent?" Slivko asked just as she got it on.

     "Yep" She replied. It was a little big on her, but it brought a comforting feeling and she inhaled it "Are you sure you don't want it?"

     "Come on" Slivko teased "You aren't complaining"

Sandra laughed lightly, giving the soldier boy a gentle shove before she leaned into him, her eyes drooping again. Slivko rested his head on hers and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her in.

Sandra let out a small yawm and shut her eyes. Being in the middle of a monster fight was exhausting.

     "So, what'd ya think, fellas?" She heard Mills ask "This way to Key West?"

     "I think it is, brother," Slivko responded and Sandra hummed.

     "This place will change" Sandra heard James say from below them "Word will get out. It always does"

     "Well, it's not coming from us" Mason responded.

Silence filled the ploat once more and Sandra forced her eyes open, watching the suddenly calm scenery as it passed by. Luck seemed to be finally on their side as the trip was smooth sailing. She heard Marlow start singing somewhere below them, a song she recognized and she smiled slightly as she softly joined in.

     "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when" She murmured the lyrics drowsily.

Sandra heard a camera click and shifted her eyes to see Mason with her camera aimed at her and Slivko, though she didn't have it in her to care, as she rested against him.

As Sandra had predicted, the rest of the ride was smooth sailing and they reached the exfil right on time, Slivko practically having to carry her to the chopper, though the moment it started up she was wide awake and clinging to him as they flew back through the storm.

There was just as much being thrown around as there had been on the way there, but this time Slivko was right next to her, holding onto her as the helicopter was thrown around.

After a long and bumpy ride, they made it back to the ATHENA. Marlow was in awe of the ship as he wandered through it.

Sandra leaned against a railing, everyone was finding things to do as the ship made its way back to the mainland.

Slivko's shirt hung down about mid-thigh, covering the shorts she had changed into the moment they made it back to the ship, as she had run straight to where she knew her room was with extra clothes she had packed for the return.

Mason had met her there, coming in as Sandra brushed through her hair. The older woman took the brush from the teen and gently continued, working through the tangles from Sandra's little underwater adventure.

     "So, you and Slivko?" She had asked slyly and Sandra shook her head vigorously.

     "No, we're just friends" She replied, staring at Mason's eye through the mirror.

     "Friends?" Mason had scoffed "He dove into deep water and nearly drowned for you. You should've seen him when you were unconscious, so freaked out, trying everything to get you to come back" Mason trailed off with a small smile.

"'Cause we're friends" Sandra replied, though she couldn't help the feelings that swirled in her stomach "He would've done that for any of us"

Mason had just shaken her head, handing the brush back to Sandra as she ran her hands through the now smooth hair while Sandra muttered a thanks, trying to process what Mason was trying to tell her.

"The island is over, it's ok to consider your feelings now" Mason told her as she exited. Sandra thought for a moment before turning to the woman.

"What about you and my brother?" She asked. Mason just smiled faintly and left.