Seven

Hi guys! Don't forget to vote and comment. I will be posting the next chapter in a few hours and it's got the major feels. I can't wait to read your reactions. I just need to stretch a little and it'll be ready. Enjoy...

*****

Her smile faded fast when she saw who it was at the door.
    Nicole.
    His assistant looked sparkly and bright. As if she had been up for hours. Before Vanessa knew what was happening, Nicole had sidled past her and into the room, looking around with interest.

    "If you're looking for Rafael, he's gone for a meeting--"

    She turned and fixed Vanessa with cold eyes. "I know exactly where he is, I always know."

    "I'll tell him you called..." Vanessa stayed by the open door and hoped she would take the hint.

    "Actually, I came to see you."
    Nicole sat on the couch, crossing one elegant leg over the other. Where was this going?
    "Did you enjoy last night? The pampering... the restaurant?"

    How did she know about that? Vanessa felt a stillness come into her body, as if it were preparing for some kind if attack. Her hand gripped the knob of the door.
    "Yes, thank you," she said faintly, dimly thinking to herself, Well, maybe she booked it for him, so she's be bound to know...

    "Oh, yes! I nearly forgot about the champagne and every thing else..."
    A dull roaring sensation was beginning somewhere in her head as Nicole continued.
    "I hope I organized it all to Rafael's satisfaction. I thought I'd check with you to make sure I did a good job..."

    "You...you organized everything?"
    She knows about the dress? Vanessa thought to herself.

    Nicole threw back her head and laughed. "Of course, silly! You don't think someone like Rafael has time to go around booking restaurants and making facial appointments do you?"

    Vanessa's brain was barely taking in her words any more.
    And the notes? Surely not those...

    Holding onto the door as if it were a lifeline, she fought for composure. "Nicole, why don't you say what you want to say and get out... I have to pack."

    "I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't make sure that all of Raf's women were looked after."

    She stood up and sauntered close to Vanessa, who held her breath, just wanting the other woman gone.
    "I have to admit, it gets a bit boring after a while. I kept telling him not to be so predictable, to vary things a bit..." Nicole smiled indulgently. "But I guess he's just old fashioned. That's why I'm here, Vanessa. I can see the type of woman you are. You're not like the others." She looked at Vanessa closely before a cruel smile twisted her lips, "You've fallen for him haven't you?"

    Vanessa said nothing. Couldn't move a muscle.

    "You poor thing...it'll be someone else next week, you know...the same thing all over again. Like I said, you seem nice, and I'd hate to see you get hurt. He hates clingy women. Au revoir."
    And just like that she nicoled out of the room.

    Vanessa felt as though she'd been punched in the belly. She actually couldn't suck enough air into her stomach for a minute, and had to take calming breaths to prevent working herself into a panic attack. She stumbled over to the mini-bar and pulled out a bottle of water, taking a deep gulp. She felt shivery and nauseous. She sat down on a chair and stared blindly in front of her.

    Stupid, stupid Vanessa. Allowing herself to fall in love with him. If Nicole had picked up on it, then who was to say he hadn't either? Utter humiliation rose up and swamped her. Words that Nicole had said dropped like stones into Vanessa's numbed brain: So predictable...someone else next week...all of Rafael's women...