Twelve

Hi guys! How are you all doing? Please don't forget to vote and leave a comment...
Happy reading...

Dedicated to @just_nittah

*****

"I presume you wouldn't mind me leaving you to make some calls, as you've barely said two words over dinner...?"

    Vanessa looked up sharply. In contrast to her tense form, spine as straight as a dancer's, he lounged at the opposite side of the table, long legs stretched out, a brow quirked mockingly.
    "Not at all..." She replied sweetly.

    The heavy potent atmosphere was giving her a headache. She was more than uncomfortably aware of him. His scent, his large body mere inches across the table. During dinner she'd been transfixed by his hands, until she'd realized she was staring. Still in a state of shock to be back here...with him...again.

    In a way, she reflected when he'd taken his leave and her pulse had finally returned to normal, it would be easier to have people around. It would have been to much to have the slumberous heat outside and the entire place to themselves. Things were more formal with the staff here. There was none of the seductive easy intimacy of the summer...making dinner in the kitchen, eating outside. The outer changes just reflected their own inner reality. Everything was different.

    She went up to the bedroom and changed into the most unrevealing nightwear she had -- a pair of silk pyjamas -- buttoning them up as far as possible, and automatically went to the side of the bed that she'd used before, aghast as how natural it felt.
    Scooting down under the covers, she felt her body rigid with tension, and she Kay like that for at least an hour, until she heard his footsteps and the door open. She stopped breathing, her eyes shut tight as he came into the room.

    Forcing herself to take long shallow breaths, it was torture as she heard his movements and tried not to imagine what he was doing. The whisper of a shirt falling on the floor, a belt buckle opened, a button being popped. When she heard his trousers hit the floor, and the barely discernable sound of his underwear being tugged down, a corresponding heat flooded her lower belly. She had to bite her lip to keep back a moan.

    She heard his footsteps pad to the bathroom and water running, being turned off, and then the footsteps came back to the bed. She felt the dip as he pulled the covers back and got in. She was curled in a ball, as far away from him as she could get, the covers tucked around like a wall.
    She only fell asleep once he'd stopped moving and she heard his deep breaths even out.

When Vanessa woke the next morning she was in the same position shed fallen asleep in, and she could feel how the tension had cramped her muscles. With a wary look over her shoulder, she breathed out when she saw that Rafael was already up, the sheet pulled neatly back. She took advantage of the solitude and got up, taking a quick shower and dressing before going downstairs, meeting Lovett on the way.
    "Oh, madame! You should have stayed in bed. You must be tired... I was just going to bring you breakfast."

    Vanessa smiled warily at her. "There's no need. I'm sure you have enough to be doing... I'll come and get something in the kitchen myself."

    She looked up over Lovett's head and saw Rafael at the bottom of the stairs, watching her intently. She could see a muscle work in his jaw from where she was. Had he slept well last night? She searched his face for signs, but he looked remarkably well. Vibrant. She proceeded down the stairs fighting to look cool.
    "Morning."

    "Morning."

    "Did you--"

    "I hope you--"
    They both spoke at the same time, and Vanessa took the lead saying airily. "Oh, like a log. I didn't even hear you come in. Was it late?"