Nine

Hi guys! Hope you had a lovely weekend? Please make me smile by clicking on the star at the bottom of your screen. Hope you enjoy this chapter... Comment and vote if you love RANE!!

This chapter is dedicated to @pauloluchi

*****

That evening Vanessa tried to relax. It was impossible. Her whole body felt as though it had received an injection of some vital life force energy. When she had got back to the flat she'd changed into tracksuit bottoms, and an old baggy sweatshirt.

    Rafael was in the country, and as long as he was she couldn't rest easy. She hoped that he would just leave her alone. Let her go on with life.

    The doorbell rang.
    It couldn't be...could it? She went towards the door, her hands balled into fists, opening it warily.

    "Benedict," she breathed a sigh of relief, but also felt a stab of disappointment. Abbie's brother stood in the doorstep. She hadn't seen him since she'd got back, had avoided his persistent calls.

    "Come on in...what are you doing here?" She ushered him into the sitting room.

    He was shy, as usual, not really able to meet her eye. "Look, I won't beat around the bush... Annie told me what's going on. About you being... pregnant."

    A blush stained his frecked cheeks, and Vanessa's heart went out to him, but she didn't interrupt.

    "The thing is, Vanessa...well, you know how I feel about you. I came to say that I'm here if you need someone to lean on. That is, if you'd have me, I'd marry you."

    A lump came into her throat. "Oh, Benedict...that's so sweet. I'm very flattered that you would offer to marry me, but the truth is --"

    The doorbell rang again. Vanessa muttered an apology and went to open it.
    Rafael.

    Standing on the doorstep, crowding the small doorway.
    The breath was driven from her lungs and her body tensed spectacularly, a million miles away from what her head was trying to impose on it. She felt a tremor start in her legs.

    She had completely forgotten about Benedict until she heard him behind her. "Nessy, love, are you all right? Do you know this man?"

    She came out of her reverie.
    "Yes."

    She let Rafael pass her to come into the small hall, feeling a hysterical giggle bubbling up from somewhere deep in her belly.

    "Benedict, this is Rafael Xavier-Lèzille. Rafael, this is Benedict Thomas -- an old friend of mine."

    The men looked at each other with deep suspicion. Vanessa knew she had to put Benedict out if his misery. She threw a quelling look at Rafael and showed him into the sitting room, shutting the door behind him.

    Leasing Benedict away from the door, she said. "Rafael's my baby's father...and it wouldn't be fair to take you up on your offer because.. " her voice gentled. "...but I'm not in love with you."

    "Are you in love with him?"

    She nodded her head mutely.  

    "Is he in love with you?"

    She shook her head. "But he'll take care of me and the baby if I so wish. I know that. You don't have to worry about me."

    She pressed a kiss to his cheek, making him colour again.

    "Are you sure you're okay...? I can stay if you want."
    Vanessa shook her head, ignoring her rapid pulse. Benedict was no match for Rafael.