Thirteen

Hi guys! Please make me smile by clicking on the star at the bottom of your screen, and leaving a comment... Lovelies enjoy

Dedicated to @adura166

*****

A few days later, a wan-faced Vanessa came into the dinning room where Rafael was finishing breakfast. She eyed him warily. She'd had the most vivid dream last night. That he had pulled her close and tucked himself around her so completely that she'd felt unspeakably comforted, safe and cherished. She'd even felt love from it. And then she felt his hardness against her back, and it had started throbbing need that had woken her with its intensity. When she'd woken up with a start, the bed had been empty. Rafael hadn't yet joined her and the loneliness that had lodged in her chest had been so heavy that she still felt it this morning.

    He looked at her over the rim of his coffee cup, and Vanessa hid her churning emotions behind a mask of bland happiness.

    "Morning. Did you sleep well? Are you going to the mainland today? Isn't it lovely outside? I might go for a drive later, explore a bit."

    He frowned at her inane chatter, clearly not taken in.
    "We're having some people over tonight -- business colleagues, friends. A small dinner party. About ten people. Nikita and Thomas, and Nicole will be there too. So you'll know a few."

    At the mention of Nicole's name, Vanessa nearly fell into her chair, her face paling. She'd managed to put the other woman out of her head, but now that awful morning came back vividly. Her own humiliation.
    "Oh...that sounds nice."

    What else could she say? Don't you dare invite that woman?

     "You'll act as hostess, of course."
    She just nodded her head. Still thinking about Nicole, distracted.

    "I have to go to the hotel... I'll be back by 7:00 PM. The guests are due to arrive at eight."
    He drained the last of his coffee and got up to go. Just as he did Vanessa felt a flutter of something in her belly, and gasped audibly. Rafael came around to her side quickly.
    "What is it? Is something wrong?"

    Vanessa shook her head, her hand in her belly. "I think I just felt the first kick."
    She turned to face him, smiling, her eyes gleaming with excitement. He crouched down beside her chair and she had the irresistible urge to reach out and take his hand, place it on her belly. The air around them grew heavy. She couldn't take her eyes from his. She saw his hand come towards her, and suddenly checked herself. The feeling that he had read her mind was too strong, that he might have seen something on her face.

    She flinched back. A tiny movement but he saw it. His hand stopped. She saw his eyes harden. His face was inscrutable. A muscle twitched in his jaw.
    "So you're all right."

    Vanessa gathered herself together. God, she was so transparent...she had to control these impulses.
    She forced her voice to be light. "Yes. It's nothing. It's probably not even the baby at all."

    She felt the acute disappointment that she couldn't share the moment with him. But she was far too vulnerable and weak in his presence; she had to maintain her guard at all times. Looking at him with welcoming eyes, wanting him to feel the baby move -- that would have led her down a very dangerous path....

After helping Lovett prepare for the dinner, Vanessa took a drive all the way up to the memorial at the other end of the island. It was bittersweet to be back there again and remember that day in the summer. She placed some flowers in the vases and pit a candle that was sheltered by the wind.
    As she looked out to the sea, churning in a grey froth, she asked herself yet again what she was doing. Did she really have the strength to go through with this?