Happy Birthday Maahi

"Papa wake up", called Ziva standing in front of Mahi's bed

"Maahi, it's 12...come on wake up", called Sakshi. Hearing voices, Mahi woke up only to find his wife and daughter staring at him with a smile.

"Baby, you are still awake?", asked Mahi looking at Ziva.

"Ha papa I wanted to wish you first", saying which she placed her tiny hands around her father's neck and kissing on his cheek, she wished "Happy birthday papa"

"Thank you so much Zivu", said Mahi kissing his daughter's cheek. But hearing her words he remembered his kids who used to fight for deciding who would wish him first. Ah, those days...how he misses them. He came out of his thoughts hearing his wife's voice.

"Many many happy returns of the day Maahi. May God give you good health and all the happiness", saying which Sakshi hugged him and kissed his cheek too for which he kissed her forehead and thanked her.

"Papa, come on cut the cake. Mumma baked it for you and I helped her", said Ziva excitedly pointing to the chocolate cake placed on the side table with a knife beside it.

"Mmmm, it looks yum", mumbled Mahi being a cake lover but again birthday cake took him back in time to those days when he celebrated his birthday with the team. Earlier he used to insist on eating the cake rather than smashing it across the room onto everybody's faces. But since then the team started bringing two cakes, one for eating and one for smashing...smart right?

Thinking all this, he reached the table and with his wife and daughter beside him, he cut the cake and as a habit closed his eyes expecting his boys to smash it on his face, but nothing happened. After a few moments, sensing Sakshi's hand on his shoulder he came into the present and looked at his lifelines with a smile for which Sakshi gave an understanding nod. As Mahi cut the cake, Ziva started singing Happy birthday song and after feeding each other, Mahi retired to bed with Ziva while Sakshi went to put the cake in the refrigerator.

Though he closed his eyes, sleep was far away from him. All he was remembering is his time with his team, their pointless fights just to prove that who loves him more, their lovely outings, and whatnot. Do they miss him the way he does, or everyone is busy in their lives? Should he call them?

"It's my birthday, if they remember it they will only call...", thinking this he drifted into sleep.

The next morning, though he was smiling, Sakshi understood that he was worried about something.

"Maahi, what's the matter?", asked Sakshi.

"Nothing", saying which he flashed a smile.

"Come on, you can mask your emotions from the whole world but not from me. Tell me what's running in your mind?", asked Sakshi and hearing her stern tone and sensing that there was no escape, he spoke his heart out.

"Sakshi, today is my birthday and not even one of my teammates called me...I think they don't even remember me now"

"Where is your phone Maahi?", asked Sakshi knowing the answer well.