Chapter 3 - Ally

Week 21

Toph didn't even make it two steps through the door, Kanto already handed her a scorching cup of green tea. He did that every meeting now, ever since she told him it was her favorite, and it was annoying as fuck. Well, what was annoying was that he was trying so damn hard...

And she was getting used to it, which was a disaster. Every time she opened that door the smells of his jasmine and her green tea would make her feel... Relaxed? That was as close to describing it as she could get.

But that day she smelled something else too.

"Judging by your face, I guess you noticed I've been cooking." He barely managed as he ran back to the stove in the kitchen. The apartment actually smelled like people lived there, for once. Not like bad coffee and cheap cigarettes. It was fucking weird. "Take a seat, I got some extra."

"I keep rocking my brain, but I have to confess I have no idea what this has to do with the triad?" She took off her damp jacket. It was pouring outside, so the warm apartment was a real improvement.

"That's cause it doesn't." She heard plates clanking, she didn't even know they had any here. "I'm cooking for Ling, but I didn't think I'd have time once I got home so I'll just bring it with me and say I made it there."

Toph felt today might be the day. He was still in the kitchen, no doubt arranging food on plates. She took a deep breath and bended off her armor, leaving it standing up by the door. She'd thought about it for weeks now. It was a sign of good faith. A sign she saw Kanto as more than a criminal. A sign of trust. Just a small gesture really, but for some reason a small part of Toph held it off for weeks.

She was just about to sit down when Kanto walked out of the kitchen with something that smelled really good. It was only then that she realized she didn't remember if she'd eaten anything since yesterday and that was worrying. Then Kanto laughed slightly.

"What?" She sat down.

"It's just... You look so tiny without your armor." His tone wasn't malicious, but Toph wanted to punch him just then. She finally overcomes all her shit to be normal with him and this is what he has to say? Idiot...

"You know, this tiny little girl could still kick your ass, Hotshot. Now shut up, or I'll start commenting on your girly-ass hobbies."

"Hey, you want the pasta or not?"

"Yes, please." It was a mistake telling him about her not eating often enough. For some reason he obviously took it as a personal challenge. Before he'd just bring bagels or something, but cooking was a bit much.

She pondered this some more, until the first bite of food touched her tongue.

"What? You don't like spicy food?" he asked.

"Kanto, this is the best food I've had in my life!" She stuffed some more into her mouth, then continued while chewing. "You made this?"

"Yeah."

"Well, what's it called? Cause it's the only thing I'll be ordering for the next month..." She took another break to stuff more pasta into her mouth.

"It doesn't have a name... I kind of made it up."

"You made this up?" She gestured to her plate. "You idiot!"

She threw one of her chopsticks at him, then found herself unable to continue eating. Well, that was unacceptable.

"Why?" He handed the chopstick back.

"All this time I could have been looking for a cook job for you! But no..." She took another mouthful. "You tell me you never finished elementary school. I ask about skills, you list your mediocre earthbending, but you don't mention you're fucking chef extraordinaire over here..."