Bonus Chapter

Okay, so very important... This is NOT PART OF THE OFFICIAL STORY. This is more like... A fanfic to a fanfic... Yeah, wow... I give you an AU of how it would look like if Kanto hadn't betrayed Toph and they were a family (in this Suyin would be his daughter too) I had time so I did it.

oooooooooo

6 months before Lin's born

When Toph's parents decided to visit her in Republic City, she insisted on taking them to one particular restaurant for dinner. They'd reluctantly agreed, but probably regretted the decision as soon as they noticed it wasn't the kind of place where they could fit in with their fine silk, formal robes. Toph probably fit in better with her police uniform, and she didn't care what they thought of the establishment, she'd brought them there for the food.

Lao cleared his throat, which meant he was about to ask for the best table they had, but before he had a chance the hostess recognized Toph as the Chief and brought them to a table without any waiting.

"Are you sure about this restaurant, darling?" her father asked once they were seated.

"Trust me, Dad... Best food in the city! I swear by it." Toph waved to a waiter. "What's the matter, Mom?"

"I just wish you had listened to me, and changed before we went out," Poppy explained. "It wouldn't kill you to dress up once in a while, you know... We almost never see you anymore."

Of course, Toph had a reason for staying in her armor. She was sure that at this point if she wore something that wasn't completely baggy and too big, her baby bump would be very visible. And why ruin the surprise?

Before she could come up with an answer for her mother, the waiter came to their table and asked what everyone would be having.

"No need for menus." Toph interrupted the man's routine. "We'll all have the special."

Her parents protested a little, but ultimately chose the risk of one disappointing meal over fighting with their daughter. The waiter was soon at their table again with three portions of steamed elephant koi in some kind of sauce. It took just one bite for both of her parents to change their mind about the restaurant drastically. Poppy sent compliments to the chef, but Lao insisted on giving his praise in person. Just as Toph had planned.

"The chef will be right out," the waiter assured them, then went on his way, but not before serving them dessert on the house. The taste left her parents speechless, which was a first.

In about ten minutes Kanto strolled to their table, smelling of grease, spices and something fruity. This was something she often did, stop by for a bite while he was on the clock and then offer her compliments, in kissing form, to the chef. He stopped cold once he realized this time wasn't like all those other times. He'd probably puzzled out who the two other people at her table were.

So she didn't tell him? Was it a shitty thing to do? Yeah. But she didn't want him to make a big deal out of it. Right in that moment, feeling his heart betray his nervousness, she regretted it.

He strolled to the table, then introduced himself.

"Well, young man, I can say with great confidence that this is the finest food I've had outside my hometown," Lao said.

"Yes, you are very talented. I hope it is not too forward to offer you a job at our estate in Gaoling," Poppy offered.

Well, Toph hadn't expected that...

"You flatter me, Lady Beifong, but I just moved in with the love of my life here in the city, so I don't think I'll be relocating anytime soon."

"Oh... Best of luck to you then," Poppy said, and Toph could feel her mother judging her all the way from the other side of the table.