Chapter 16 - Some Kind of Dad

Man, I cannot believe I'm done with this... Apologies, it took me an extra day, but I didn't want to rush it.

oooooooooo

32 years after Lin's born

It was a historic occasion. Kanto was about to enter the police station without first being arrested. With and impressive assortment of knives and all his best metalbenders behind him, he was ready. He spared one last look towards the west of the city, towards what used to be the Shades, the neighborhood where he'd lived for decades before Chief Beifong cleaned up the place.

It happened. His triad, the Terra Triad was the last one with enough power for this to matter. Lin, his daughter, had sent all of the others running, hiding across the city, the same people who once made the Shades their own personal kingdom.

Kanto pushed open the door and strolled inside the station like he worked there, while his people followed, drawing out swords or knives that they could in the blink of an eye send flying towards anyone inside.

"The backup's in place, then, Boss?" a fifth ring girl asked him.

"Everything's going according to the plan."

Everyone working at the station was starting to take notice, and the receptionist was downright terrified as Kanto strolled closer to her. He ignored it, instead climbed onto her desk and spread his arms, getting the rest of the room to notice him. Everyone went silent. Some of the officers looked like they were beginning to remember who he was.

"Attention! You are surrounded. There is nowhere for you to go. There is nothing you can do." He looked around the room. "Now, get your hands up!"

The police officers obeyed, somewhat reluctantly, now definitely recognizing him.

Then Kanto turned to his people.

"Oh, I wasn't talking to them." The faces they made were almost worth this whole thing. "Come on, get them up!"

"But, Boss, you said the backup—"

"I lied." Kanto smirked, before glancing over his shoulder at the officers who were all extremely confused. "I'm Kanto, Leader of the Terra Triad and I'm here to surrender." He raised his hands. "I've got stories to tell, fingers to point, names to name and a whistle to blow. And I've brought my associates." As promised, he pointed at his men. "So what is it you people say... Seize them?"

"I say that." Lin said from the back of the room. "Seize them."

This snapped all the officers back to attention and they started advancing on Kanto's associates. Lin, however, handcuffed him personally.

"What do you think you're doing?" she whispered as she was leading him away.

"Keeping my word."

"I'm not my mother." She tightened his cuffs. "If you think I'll just let you walk away after the stunt you—"

"I knew what would be waiting for me here."

oooooooooo

Kanto chose to sit on the floor even though his cell had a perfectly good cot. He just had to keep checking. Intellectually, he'd known the Avatar could take people's bending, fuck, he'd been in this prison before killing people who'd had their bending taken. He also knew that was probably what they'd do to him as a metabender once he's caught. Only, knowing something and believing it would happen were not the same thing.

The kept trying to reach the earth, listen, move it, quake, but it didn't answer. It was like trying to flip someone off with a hand that had been cut away.