Chapter 6 - Boyfriend

Week 45

At first Toph didn't even notice him there. She could've sensed him if she'd focused on her feet, but her thoughts were wondering. Her officers informed her that the Terra Triad had been very active that day, so she didn't think Kanto would be able to make it. They had a system for those situations too. Every week they threw the dice and chose two pairs of date and time in the next week. If one of them wasn't able to make it to the first one, they just had to come to the apartment early and place the broom in a predetermined position.

"Kanto?" Eventually, she stood close enough to him, so she felt him. He was lying on the floor, clutching the broom.

Instead of an answer he moaned something incomprehensible. In a breath she was on her knees next to him.

"Why did you come then, you idiot?!" She tried to help him up, but was surprised when her hands came off bloody.

"Didn't wanna scare you..." He tried to chuckle there at the end, as she helped him sit up, but it turned into a cough.

"How bad is it?" Toph hated this. Not being able to access the damage on her own. He'd downplay it like the idiot he was.

"Not bad..."

Lie.

"What do I do?" She bended off her armor in a hurry.

"Just get me to the bed. I put gaze and shit in the cupboard there."

She pulled him to his feet. Since there was bleeding, she prioritized being fast over being gentle.

"Just put your arm around my- Or just fall on me, that works too." She was gentler when putting him on the bed, or at least she tried. He was getting quiet, she didn't like that.

"So who did this to you so I can fuck them up?" Toph asked as she rummaged in the cupboard for his supplies.

"Triple Threats. This one motherfucker had a knife..."

"You can metalbend." She was back at his side with the little box of medicine and gaze.

"That's why he didn't hit anything important, while I definitely did."

"I'll rip off your shirt now." She pulled her sleeves back.

"Oh, Chief- Aah!" He swallowed the rest of that scream as she opened his bare chest to the room. Next, he handed her the alcohol from the box and she disinfected the wound. That scream he couldn't hold back. She kept teasing him about it for the rest of the time it took the two of them to patch the wound.

"I couldn't go home," he started, once she was back from washing her hands. "I didn't want Ling to see me like this."

"So you thought, I'll find Toph, she can't see anything. Then I'll drop dead there right in front of her useless eyes, she won't mind." She used a fake manly voice.

"Do you know what bedside manner is?" He asked as she sat beside him on the bed, but didn't wait for an answer. "Well, yours straight up sucks."

After hearing that, she leaned in, careful not to touch him more than necessary, and kissed him gently.

"How's that?"

"I'm healed."

She smiled against his lips, then continued, deepening the kiss. It was a small whimper that brought her back to reality and made her pull away. He didn't need a good make-out now, he needed meds and a decent night's sleep.

"You'll stay here?"

"Yeah." He took her hand into his, weakly. "Stay with me?"

"You know I would..."