Chapter Four

Dean's POV
"Sam are stakeouts always this boring?" Charys groans. That was the third time she'd put emphasis on Sam's name when she'd spoken...and she'd only spoken three times.

"You know you don't have to put emphasis on his name for Dean to know you're mad at him. Trust me, you've made it clear." Sam says.

"Trust you? Bitch please, I don't trust either y'all much further than I can throw y'all. But I need help." Charys sighs, looking out the window.

I just sigh, understanding why she hated us so much but at the same time wishing we'd made some sort of better impact. I mean, we bought her food, we've been good to her so far. I don't expect her to just instantly love us after a few hours, especially after what happened, but some change would be nice.

"Kid, I-" I stop myself when I see someone walking up to the home and a demon smoking out. We get out and I make a mental note to try and finish the conversation later.

Narrator's POV
Dean kicks the door open and finds a woman with a bloody knife running down the stairs. Sam shoots her in the knee with a bullet that had a devil's trap carved into it, preventing her from leaving. The demon screams as Charys start an exorcism. Sam checks the body for a pulse, then looks up and shakes his head.

"Son of a bitch." Dean sighs, looking down.

"Aight well the bitch is dead, so's the vessel. Let's head home and call it a day, yeah? I'm starving." Charys suggests.

"Seriously? A woman just died and you're thinking about food?" Sam asks.

"Yup, that's what I said. I don't know the lady so it don't bother me." She shrugs nonchalantly.

"Well it should. It should tear you up inside knowing someone lost a loved one." Dean pipes up, surprised at the coldness inside the young girl.

"Does it? Do all situations like this, all the victims...do they leave an impact?" She asks quietly, looking down.

"Every one." Sam says softly, as a mental agreement passes between the three. They all knew exactly which victim was being referred to.

"Well, guess I'm glad I don't give a fuck." Charys forces a chuckle after a moment of silence and walks back out to the car.

"Back to that uh, old warehouse, I guess?" Dean asks as both boys hoped she wouldn't say yes, that she had somewhere better to go, but doubted it.

"Yup." Charys confirms, looking out of the window. Dean sighs, reluctantly driving her back.

Sam's POV
"Guess this is it, huh?" I ask, looking back at Charys through the mirror.

"Yup." Charys confirms.

"Why don't you, uh...stay with us for the night?" Dean suggests, and I raise a brow.

"Y'all payin?" Charys jokes and we cringe.

"Not like that. Just, offering a warm bed, some more food." I add.

"Nah, I'm good. Ain't home, y'know?" She says.

"Yeah, I know." I say as she gets out.

"Take care of yourself, kid." Dean adds.

"Yeah, yeah. Catch y'all later." She says as she walks back in.

"Let's go uh, grab some dinner before heading back to the motel." Dean sighs, driving away.

"Yeah." I agree.

"I hate this for her." Dean says.

"Me too." I admit, mentally going back to how happy she was last we saw her, how much better her life was.

***
"Ok kiddo, the ghost is dead. Gone. No coming back." Dean said, squatting so ten year old Charys could look into his eyes.

"But you'll come back, right? To visit me?" She asks hopefully.

"Sure thing, Charys." I smiled down at her.

"Yay!" She says with an excited gasp, wrapping her little arms around us. "You're my bestest friends ever!"
***
"Sammy, you comin?" Dean asks, bringing me out of my thoughts. I nod, get out and walk into the diner with him.