Chapter Six

"Turn here."

        Getting done at the food bank early, I had time to kill. Every year, I'm so busy, I never have time to do the one thing I've always really wanted to.

        "And we're at the hospital, because...?"

        "Children's hospital," I corrected him. "Every year, I help collect donations for the sick kids, but I never get to actually visit with them, to cheer them up in person."

        "Aw, how sweet," he mocks. "But you can count me out."

        I roll my eyes, "Gladly."

        When he pulls up onto the curb, I don't hesitate to open the door and leap out.

         Can you believe that? Him? Can you believe him?

        I can...

        I can't believe I thought for even a second he was different.

       He's exactly who I originally thought he was. And what I thought he was. Unchangeable.

        And I don't even care. He can be sweet, when he wants to be. But that's all pretend, and who want someone fake in their life?

        Few months tops, and it'll be all over...

        Stepping into the elevator, my nerves started getting the better of me.

        I was in foster care until I was twelve. I never really cared about life outside, but I never really cared what happened to myself, either. I had basically given up, I guess you could say. I helped take care of the younger kids, helped keep the place running, helped with adoptions. I never thought I'd get a happy ending of my own. One day, I was walking in town. I had just been rejected by yet another adopter. I was just kicking pebbles on the sidewalk,when I came across the most horrific sight. There was a dog, much like the one today. I remember screaming for help. I didn't know what else to do.

        A boy, blond hair, maybe three years older than me, came running full speed. He had a walkie talkie, and was shouting things into it. I stood off to the side, watching with worry and awe.

        They got the dog stabilized, packed up their truck, and sped off. I began to walk again, still nowhere in particular. Someone fell into step beside me. It was the boy. "Hey, you're in some of my classes, aren't you?"

        "Yeah," I replied, "advanced."

       "Cool. Well, thank you."

        "For what? I didn't do anything. You were the amazing ones."

        "You kidding? Some people would have kept walking. We were scouring the city looking for that dog. Without you, we might not have. Or, at least, if we did, it would have already been too late."

        "Well, I'm really glad she'll be okay now."

        "Thanks to you, she will be." He fished something out of his packet, slid it into my hand. "Maybe you could stop by sometime, visit. Maybe even help out."

        "Really?" I felt like a kid in a candy store.

        "Really. My family owns the rescue, so I could definitely get you in. Besides, we could always use new volunteers."

        He turned and just walked away. But I knew that wouldn't be the end of him. I saw him in the halls at school. In class. Around town. I went to the shelter, but never actually into it. I carried that card around in my pocket. Brought it out and just stared at it. It took me a week, but I finally got up the nerve to actually walk in. There was a women and a young girl at the counter. The women let the girl do all the talking, a sparkle in her eye, proud of the girl. That girl, my age, blonde. Goes to my school, very popular but super nice. Her name was Molly. That was just the introduction of our best friends story. All because of one dog, in need of help,and one boy, who saved us both.