Chapter Eight

My phone rang not even half an hour after Max left. It was Molly.

        "Hey," I smiled.

        "What did you do," she shrieks.

        "I don't know what you---"

        "He's happy!"

         "Who is, Max? He should be. Zachary and I are coming in tomorrow to see what we can do for Mr. Grumpy Newcomer, Max and I are having our redo date tomorrow, and you and I seriously need to go dress shopping for the party...." Not necessarily in that order, but I rushed to get it all out. You know, without interruption...

        "Whoa, back up!"

        Uh oh. "Yeah?"

        "Call me crazy-please call me crazy-but did you just say Max and Date in the same sentence?"

        "I came to the conclusion that you were right about him, Moll. I never thought about it before, so I never realized it, or maybe I didn't want to know, but we aren't the same kids that met in an alley those five years ago. I'm not twelve anymore. He asked me out, and I acted childish. I tried to ignore the obvious. And it almost destroyed the only friendships I have, and value deeply. Okay, so, blah blah blah, long story short, I asked him out on a redo date. I want to try it out before your party Tuesday night. We all know I'm coming no mater what-but he asked if I'd come. For him. Gosh, I don't know, Moll. Am I doing the right thing here? I really am nervous this time..."

     "You're trying. That's all that matters. I was really hard on you, and way out of line to push you like I did. Forgivesies?"

        "Yes, Moll. Forgivesies."

       "So, you mentioned dress shopping...?"

        "Yes. I did. That was the plan, yeah?"

        "Totally! We'll meet here, you'll do your thing with the dog, then we'll go shopping! Ooh, and we'll get you something for your date, too! Then after we shop, we'll come back here and meet up with your Romeo. Then it's off into the sunset with you!"

        "Sounds good," I say, totally not in a way that said "I'm friends with a crazy person." "So, yeah, see you tomorrow. I'm going to go for the night."

        "Bye."

        We hung up, I grabbed pj's,got dressed, and returned to my bed to have Zackary waiting for me with a look. "Oh, God, now what do you want?"

        "Nothing. Just, your friend. She's really hot."

        "And?"

        "Noting. Just telling you my opinion."

        "Like that matters. Even I know Molly's attractive. Everyone with eyes knows it. Her charm is irresistible, let me tell you." Why am I talking to him? Ugh, I'm falling into his traps again! "Just, shut your mouth, eyes, and go to sleep."

        Someone was shaking me. "Sweetheart, wake up." I groaned, shoving her off by rolling over.

        I'm hit with something. Hard. Definitely not a pillow. "Get up, Hopeless."

        I jump up, scowling in his direction. I see my mother slap him. With a shoe. Probably what he hit me with... "Not nice, Zachary!"