Chapter Thirteen

The main hall, enormous room, a tall Christmas tree in the center, and four more, one in each corner. The floor was decorated in a sparkling red carpet leading to the front door. Molly's parent's greet guests at the door. Most everyone invited at least stop by. They were invited to this party. It would be rude not to come for any amount of time. Still, people come and go on their own. Of the many guests, my parents are usually the only other people I know on a personal level. Molly runs off to see some friends she knows from school. Cheerleaders, most likely. Ever year, I either stand awkwardly by her side all night, or by my parents. They have yet to show up. I start wandering around. I end up outside on the balcony.

        "What are you doing out here, all alone?"

        I jump at the voice, turning around. "What are you doing here?"

        "Your parents made me come."

        "They aren't your parents, Zach. You could have said no."

        He smiles down at himself, coming to stand next to me, leaning his back on the railing, arms behind him. He was dressed plainly, white T-shirt, black skinny jeans, black lather jacket. But he looked really good. Like he always did...  "Well, maybe I just wanted to come, then."

        "Well...you should have warned me." If Max sees him here, I have no doubt there'll be trouble...

        "I did, actually. I texted you.  I, uh, stole your number. Off one of your parent's phones..."

        "Oh." Really? you did? My heart was swooning... "It uh, my phone, it's dead." I laugh, "So classic, right?"

        "I can leave, if you want me to." I shake my head swiftly, shocked I did, but I was afraid to speak. "You never did answer my question."

        What are you doing out here, all alone?

        "I usually do end up alone, at some point. I wander off, or whatever...I just feel so, out of place, you know? Molly and Max, they would keep me company, try to make me happy, but I don't belong in their. And I refuse to be what separates them from their friends."

        "But aren't you their friend?"

        "Yeah, but I'm not that friend." I emphasize, throwing my head towards the house, the party, the people...

        "Yeah, I do get it."

        "We aren't the same as them," I whisper into the night.

        He moves closer to me, shadow hovering over me, warm air cascading around me. "I didn't get to tell you, how good you look tonight..." He was tripping over his words, turned suddenly awkward. I understood the feeling...

        I look up at him. "Really," I manage to squeak out.

        "Really." He was suddenly closer to me. Really close. Like his face was just hovering in front of mine. And I had the sense of needing him closer to me. I almost did move closer.

         "There you are! I...Hey...Zachary. What's, uh, going on?"

       "Nothing, Moll. He just kind of...showed up." I forced venom into my voice. It felt wrong being mean to him. It hurt.

        "Right...well, you're parents were looking for you." She keep her weary gaze on Zach. "...And Max. He's been asking all over for you."