Chapter 8

Newt sent the case whizzing through the air straight back into the basement just as three more knocks came from the door.

"Everybody, follow my lead," he whispered & made eye-contact with Bunty, who looked confused but nodded anyway.

Newt pulled the door open.

"Scamander! Where is she?" Achilles brandished his wand.

"Where is who?" Newt asked, bewildered.

"Tina, you cretin! You expect me to believe that all of you were just standing by the door and not keeping watch?"

"We were just saying goodbye to our friend, Bunty..." Newt put his arms up in surrender.

Bunty coughed awkwardly & raised her eyebrows at Achilles.

Suddenly, his demeanour changed.

"Well, hi there, sweetheart. Bunty, is it?"

The flame-haired girl nodded.

"I'm Achilles Tolliver, a friend of these people. And Tina Goldstein. Do you know her?"

Newt shook his head frantically behind Achilles' back.

"No," Bunty shrugged. "Who is she?"

"Are you sure, honey?" Achilles' voice was oozing with charm. "A brilliant young woman like yourself wouldn't lie, would she?"

"I wouldn't," Bunty crossed her arms.

"Alright, then have you seen another young woman around here? Recently?"

"Other than myself, I'm pretty sure no other women come around here."

Achilles looks furious.

"I know that you're hiding her!" He spun around & stuck his wand in Newt's face.

"Wait, have you lost Tina?" Theseus gasped.

"No, I haven't!" Achilles sniffed indignantly.

"Did she run away from you, then?" Jacob butted in.

"I- no. She hasn't. There's no reason for her to leave me."

"I'm sure..." Theseus nodded slowly. "We were hoping that we would see Tina tomorrow for the memorial."

"She-She can't make it," Achilles looked away from Theseus' stern glare.

"So you haven't lost Tina?" Jacob gestured for him to keep talking.

"We care for her a lot, so she better be okay," Theseus' eyes narrowed.

"She-She's back at the hotel. Safe and warm."

"Then why are you here?"

"I...Well, you see...I've been meaning..." Achilles fumbled over his words.

"Well?" Newt, Jacob & Theseus said in intimidating unison.

"I-I just came to tell you...that she can't make it to your silly memorial. It has nothing to do with her. It isn't important."

"It's an opportunity for us to remember the Paris debacle & mourn those we lost."

"Well, just because Tina was there in Paris doesn't mean she was affected by what happened."

"She lost her sister to Grindelwald," Jacob huffed bitterly.

"R-Right. That's why she can't come. She needs time alone."

"Alright, then. Goodbye." Newt shuffled Achilles out the door.

"Keep Tina safe, okay? Or we'll curse you," Theseus called over Newt's shoulder.