Chapter 9

"Nagini?" Tina knocked on the door.

Silence.

"It's me, Tina Goldstein. You remember me?"

More silence.

"Could I come in?"

More silence. 

Tina was about to leave when the door creaked open

"Hi," Tina whispered.

Nagini stared at her.

"Would you like to talk?"

A single nod.

Nagini pulled the door back & let Tina in.

They sat on the bed together.

"Have you been holding up alright?" Tina bit her lip.

Nagini merely shrugged.

"Have you been talking to Theseus about all this?"

Another shrug.

"I'm so sorry Credence went with him."

Nagini looked up at her, confusion in her eyes.

"I knew him too. He used to live in New York, like me. His adopted mother would hit him..." Tina trailed off, not wanting to bring the mood down more than it already was.

A whisper escaped Nagini's lips. "Tell me more."

"He's only a child. An Obscurial, to be precise. He's magical, like me, but his awful fake mother tried to beat the magic out of him. The more magic is repressed, the more it grows. The magic in him turned dark & would eventually overcome his body at times. Especially if he's particularly emotional."

"So that's why he's like that," Nagini's words were barely audible.

"Yes. He wanted to know where his magic came from. That's why he went with that man. He's young & impressionable, only nineteen."

"Like me."

"You're nineteen?" Tina looked at her in shock.

Nagini nodded.

"I'm so sorry you have to deal with this at such a young age. What about your family?"

"Credence was family."

"Losing someone is always hard, no matter the age. It's just worse when you're young. I lost my parents when I was seventeen. My sister & I raised each other."

"Is-Is she the pretty one that went too?" Nagini's voice raised a little.

"Yes," Tina hastily brushed away a tear.

Nagini saw this & wrapped her arms around Tina's waist.

Tina embraced her back, with all that she could give.

They rocked in each other's arms for a while.

"Tomorrow is the three month anniversary of what happened. Would you like to go to Leta's memorial with me & the boys?"

Tina felt Nagini nod.

"Leta's the other pretty one, who turned to ash?" The girl mumbled.

"She is. She saved us all."

"Theseus says her name a lot," Nagini murmured. "He thinks I can't hear him but I can."

"They were in love. Due to be married in June, actually."

"I know. He told me."

"You'll be alright for now?"

"Yes, thank you."

They untangled their arms & Tina stood up.

"Call if you need me. I'll be in the next room."

"Miss Goldstein? One question."

"Tina's fine. Yes?"

"Are you & Theseus' brother in love too?"

--------------------------------------------

"How is everyone doing?" Newt questioned gently.

He, Jacob, Theseus, Tina & Nagini all sat by the Weeping Cherry Tree that was Leta's memorial.

"The best that we can," Tina sighed.

Theseus traced the words on the plaque.

Leta Lestrange

October 16 1896 - September 14 1927

A friend, a lover, a hero

Newt smiled at her comfortingly & held out his hand for her to take.

And that's exactly what Tina did.

A gust of wind blew past & a couple of the pink flowers fell from the tree.

"Are these edible?" Nagini murmured while fiddling with a cherry hanging from the tree

Theseus looked up in surprise. This was the first time Nagini had spoken to him.

Occasionally, they would talk. Well, write. They would write in a leather bound jounal. It was full of heart-felt conversations & sympathy.

Despite not actually talking, Theseus & Nagini had gotten close.

She never had a father & he always wanted a child.

Now, they had each other to fill the gaping hole in their hearts.

Nagini was fiddling with a cherry from the tree.

"Yes," he plucked one from the branch above them

The others followed in suit, tasting the sweetness.

"How long has this tree been here?" Jacob was the only one who didn't try a cherry.

"About seven years, actually. Leta planted it here. This land was hers. And now it's mine," Theseus sighed wearily.

"I'm so sorry," Nagini squeezed his hand.

"I'll be okay. We'll all be okay. It just takes time," Theseus referenced to his conversation with Tina.

"I'm proud of us," Tina gave Theseus a soft smile. "We've been through hell & back, but we're still here & still fighting."

"Honestly, the more time passes, the more it feels like giving up," Jacob sighed dejectedly.

"She'll come back," Theseus comforted.

"Yeah, maybe." Jacob lay back down on the blanket.

They sat there for hours. Even when the sun began to set, they didn't leave.

Instead, they figured out the constellations in the night. Pulling their abundance of blankets over each other, they all lay down & stared at the sky.

No one spoke. Life was hard for this particular group of people & they deserved at least one night of pure peace & serenity.

If they could, they would let the rest of the world melt away & stare at the sky til the stars don't shine.

A/N

Greetings.

I'm sorry that it's short but I've been trying to update for so long now.

Plus, the ending was a nice touch & I didn't want to ruin it.

See y'all soon!

- Fangurl_700