Chapter 13

"Gellert, look. I-"

"I love you too."

The brunet boy stared at the other in shock.

"Don't look so shocked, Al," the second boy smirked a little. "You should never be shocked to hear the truth."

"I love you."

"I know."

The second boy, ashy blonde, held up a silvery vial.

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I never want to hurt you," the other replied.

"Do you promise?"

The brunet boy took out a knife and pressed the tip of the blade to his palm. Beads of blood trickled out.

"I promise. Do you?"

The blonde boy took the knife and copied his action.

"I do."

The two boys clasped their hands together, their blood mixing.

--------------------------------------------

"This is Albus Dumbledore, your brother."

"That's my brother? He looks so young."

Gellert looked over the picture carefully. It was taken when he and Al were 17 years old. It was the day that they had made the blood pact, preceded by a declaration of love for one another.

"Yes," he hummed. "That's because this picture is old. This was when he was about your age."

Credence — Aurelius — ran his fingers across the slightly burned edges of the photograph. The boy in the photo was winking and laughing at the camera.

"He's handsome," Credence flicked a speck of dust off the photograph.

"Yes, he is," Gellert nodded in agreement. "Was. The future changes things. Inside and out."

"Does that mean I'll be handsome too?"

"Perhaps."

"Can I meet him? Or is he gone?"

"Don't you worry, Aurelius," Gellert nodded slightly. "You'll meet him soon enough."

--------------------------------------------

"Have you thought about going back to work?" Theseus asked one day.

"All the time," Tina sighed.

It was just a lazy Sunday for Tina and Theseus. Newt was busy with Jacob and Nagini, teaching them about the animals in the basement.

They both just lay on Theseus' couch, smoking and chatting.

"I think I would like to go back," Theseus coughed a little. "I've been away far too long."

"I've been given up to a year's leave, so I still have a while. I'd like to go back too, but that's all the way in New York."

"I've been getting the occasional update from the Ministry. Apparently, there's a Grindelwald search team that is a mix of MACUSA and Ministry folk. I heard that they wanted us, but we're on leave."

Tina sat up higher. "That's Achilles' mission."

"We don't have to join..."

"I think we should," Tina stretched her free arm above her head. 

"Why would you want to see him again?"

"First off, the vow's broken, so he has no control over me. Second, I miss work. I miss being useful, instead of laying here and smoking."

"That's true," Theseus put out his cigarette on the tray. "Newt can never know."

"I feel bad for dragging you into this," Tina blew out some smoke. "It's a horrible habit to have."

"And yet it helps."

"And yet it helps."

--------------------------------------------

Newt was in the basement with Jacob and Nagini when an owl swooped down the stairs.

How it opened the basement door was a mystery for another time.

"The hell's an owl doin' in here?" Jacob approached the bird.

"I don't have an owl," Newt called back from the office.

"This looks like an owl to me," Jacob shrugged. He thought for a second. "Well, you do have that crazy moose-thing in here..."

Newt and Nagini emerged from the office, where he was teaching her how to write in cursive.

"Oh, Orion!" Newt recognised the bird immediately.

"You know it?" Jacob watched as Newt untied the letter from its leg.

"He's Dumbledore's owl," Newt unscrolled the parchment.

Newt,

Come quickly.

Bring those involved.

Albus Dumbledore

"We have to go. Now."

Newt 'accio-ed' his coat and case.

"Where are we going?" Nagini crumpled a little, startled by Newt's abrupt nature.

"We have to go to Hogwarts."

"The school?" Nagini brightened up a little. She liked the school. She liked magic.

"Yes. We have to get Tina and Theseus. Grab on."

Jacob and Nagini just managed to catch Newt's shoulders before apparating away.

--------------------------------------------

"Newt!" Tina coughed, immediately making her still-lit cigarette disappear.

"Dumbledore needs us to- Why does the room smell of smoke?"

Newt breathed in a little and immediately fanned away the smell.

"That is a very good question," Theseus flicked his wand subtly and made the ashtray disappear into thin air, along with the box of cigarettes.

"Theseus tried cooking," Tina blurted out.

"No, he didn't," Nagini gave a small, amused smile.

"Why would you do that?" Newt sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Last time you tried cooking, you almost burned down our family home."

"I was getting stir-crazy. I think I'll have to go back to work soon." Theseus winked at Tina, appreciating her quick excuse.

"Now, what does Dumbledore need us for?" Tina swiftly changed the subject.

"I'm not sure. He just sent for me. For all of us. So let's go."

Theseus and Tina hopped up and held onto the group.

And with a Pop! they were gone, leaving the ashy-smelling living room behind.

A/N

Not as long as I would like it to be, but I'm doing my best.

I hope I haven't driven away all of my readers! (Comment so I know you're here!)

Thank you for waiting, it really means a lot.

Stay safe and wash your goddamn hands!!

- Fangurl_700

PS. Still don't like smoking. Sorry that I dragged Theseus into it, but sometimes you gotta give characters unhealthy-yet-realistic coping mechanisms.