UNSEEN PAIN

"I'm so happy for you Elaine, you deserve this." Raquel said, "and that ring looks damn expensive."

"Thanks Raquel" I replied "it does, but who cares it's not about the money, it's about the love and promise that came with it."

She snorted and sipped her mango smoothie, "you know I don't believe in that, it only brings pain sadness and suffering."

"Oh Raquel please stop being so passive about love, remember how scared I was of getting into a relationship back in high school but look at me now, engaged and madly in love. What am trying to say in essence is that it doesn't have to have to end in tears, move on from the past pain and things will get better." I replied, she looked at me for a while but said nothing.

"I know." she whispered as she stared outside the cafe window.

Raquel had an abusive relationship in the past that made her move out of her parents house and dropout in her final year in highschool, although she regrets her decisions the deed had already been done. Her parents disowned her and moved out of town while her boyfriend was arrested for drug trafficking, she had no where to go so I helped her with the little money I had to move to another town and start a new life. Now she works at a hotel as a receptionist, she doesn't earn much but it pays her bills and feeds her.

"You know I'll always be here, right?" I asked taking her hands in mine.

She nodded and smiled, I smiled as well and retrieved my hands.

"So how's the campaign coming along?" I asked, trying to raise her spirit. Her face brightens at my question, If there's anything Raquel enjoys right now it's working in the foundation.

"Awesome" she replies in a sing song voice. "we were able to rescue 3 women last week from their abusive relationship, one was half dead when we found her but thank heavens she survived and her husband has been arrested."

"Oh my god, that's terrible but at least justice was served." I replied.

"I know right?!, talking about the foundation, Dylan has asked me to go with the team on their next trip" she said with a  proud smile.

"Ooh!!, has someone been specially promoted?, do I need to open a new bottle of wine?" I asked in a teasing voice.

"Shut up you idiot!!, firstly Dylan is just my friend and owner of the foundation, and secondly it's not a promotion he just thinks I'm now capable of serving at other locations." she replies sternly but I notice the tinge of red that appears on her face at the mention of Dylan.

"Whatever you say Raquel, I hope you don't blush this much though when you speak with him." I say jokingly

"One more word and I'll pour this smoothie into your shopping bag and your graduation dress will be history." she replied holding her smoothie directly over my shopping bag.

I immediately drag my bag away from her reach, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!, we spent four hours looking for the perfect dress so you're not going to ruin it."

"It's a shame I'm not going to be there, I would have loved to attend your graduation especially since we spent hours in different stores looking for the perfect dress." she said sadly.

"I understand Raquel," I replied, "well I better get going, I need to regain all the strength lost during my exams, I'm so glad it's finally over."

"You sure do need it, you've been like a zombie all day." she replied, I laughed as she made zombie sounds and funny faces.

"You're crazy Raquel" I said in between laughs.

She stuck her tongue out at me,  then checked her watch "oh my god, it's 2:45 and the bus leaves at 3:00."