Countdown to Prom: 1 Day

Sakura ran up to Misaki, nearly crashing into her. "What is it, Sakura? You almost made me spill the customers drink!"

"Sorry!" Sakura jumped up and down, clapping her hands together. "Aren't you excited for prom tomorrow, Misaki?!"

"Yeah, I suppose I am."

"I bet Usui-kun is going to look soo handsome, as always!" Chief gave Misaki the night off tonight, and tomorrow. This is troublesome. What am I going to do until tomorrow night? Sakura followed Misaki into the changing room and rambled on about how magical tomorrow would be. "You think he'll kiss you, Misaki?"

"He's already kissed me, Sakura."

Sakura squealed. "Oh, right. You should kiss him, then. You know, make the first move."

Misaki's face went pink. "You know I'm not good at that. I try and things get all awkward and I chicken out."

They walked outside right as Usui pulled up in his car. "Ladies. You ready to go, Misa-chan?"

"Yes." Misaki got in the car, and Sakura winked at her. Misaki rolled her eyes as Usui drove away.

"What do you want to do tonight?"

"Huh?"

"We're both free tonight, so I figured we'd do something alone together before we get caught in rush hour tomorrow."

"Hmm. Well, there's nothing in particular I really want to do..." Misaki's phone went off. She sighed and picked up. "What is it, Shizuko?" Usui glanced over at Misaki, and her face went pale.

"What is it, Ayuzawa?" Misaki didn't say a word. Her fingers trembled, and her grip on her phone loosened, sending it to the ground. "Ayuzawa!" Usui reached for her phone quickly and turned his attention back to the road. "Shizuko, it's Usui. Calm down, what happened?" Misaki's eyes watered. Mom... A tear slipped down her cheek as Usui's tone changed. "We're on our way." Usui picked up speed, but Misaki didn't care. She barely noticed. All she could think about was hoping that they made it to the hospital in time. Usui screeched into a parking space, and quickly got Misaki out and carried her on his back. The elevator ride was silent, but it wasn't uncomfortable silence, it was more like a silence that pulls at your heart, all the words of hope and comfort making themselves obvious without being said or expressed. Usui set Misaki down and made her look at him through blurred tears. "She'll be okay, Ayuzawa. Don't worry." He leaned in to kiss her, and she slapped him.

A look of surprise plastered Usui's face. He was used to her normal outbursts of anger, but this was different, more personal for her. For a moment, she didn't say a word, then she looked up at him, her wide eyes red and irritated from crying. "I-I'm...I'm sorry!" Misaki wailed, clutching to Usui. He wrapped his arms around her as she squeezed him hopelessly.

"It's okay, Ayuzawa. Let it out. I'm here for you. Cry as much as you need to. If you ever need to be weak, you can do it in front of me, you know that." I know all too well what you're feeling right now; helpless, afraid, angry. I felt the same emotions when my mother left. But your situation...is completely different from mine.

Hours later, Ayuzawa woke to the sound of phones ringing and multiple conversations, and every now and then hurried footsteps. Her head rested on Usui's lap, and she slowly sat up and looked into his eyes. Her eyes widened as she recalled what happened and where they were. "Usui...!"

He smiled warmly at her, wiping her tear-stained cheek with his thumb. "She's okay. She's in recovery. Surprisingly, she doesn't have very many scratches from the accident."

Misaki threw herself at Usui, her arms wrapped around his neck. "I'm sorry, Takumi." Usui's heart skipped a beat, and he smiled, patting her on the head gently.

"I understand, Ayuzawa." He kissed her forehead, and Misaki felt a sense of security she never felt with anyone else. Usui is kind...so kind...