Chapter Five| In a Month

|Gaston|

   When Ben had told me that Carlos had a dog friend, to say I was surprised would be an understatement. I was flabbergasted. Carlos and a dog. Not with his mother, would I ever think that he would become friends with a dog.

  Ben also told me that tomorrow they have a tourney game and Jay and Carlos are going to be playing, he promises to tell me how it goes and I can't wait. I wish I could be there to cheer on my friends.

   "Y/n!" dad yells. I was standing in the kitchen of the Tavern, working, on my day off. 

   "Yeah?" I respond.

   "I need you to go and serve tables!" I looked out the window to the empty tavern. 

   "No one is in there dad!" 

   "There are some lovely teens, about your age. Come serve them!" I sigh before walking behind the bar and seeing Uma, Gil, and Harry.

   "Hey, guys?" I say questioningly. 

   "Hello, love," Harry begins flirting.

   "We wanted to know if you wanted to join us," Uma says to me.

   "I don't know, I've got a lot on my plate already. Maybe at the end of the month. It would be easier for me after Gil and I move back into the hideout."

   "Well, if you need us let us know. Your family, especially since Mal has ditched you to go be with that stupid prince."

   I give a small, tight lipped smile. "Thank you, that means a lot."

   "Of course, and hey, if you need some time to be alone just let us know, we'll take Gil off your hands."

   "Really?" Uma nods. "Thank you, that is so nice of you."

   "Again, you're family now. I know we've had our differences but, I wanna put the past behind us and start new," Uma holds out her hand. I smile and shake it softly but with a firm grip.

   "If you don't mind having Gil hang around you guys til I can catch a break, that would be nice. I can come around the shop later and come get him. I shouldn't be much longer, maybe two hours."

   Harry and Uma turn towards Gil then back to me, "Of course, love," Harry responds. "Come on Pal, lets go cause some chaos." Gil and Harry leave the tavern.

   "Can I get you anything?" I ask Uma as she stands staring at me.

   "Just a drink," she smiles, putting money on the counter.

   "Alright, one second." I turn to the drink area and get her a glass of water. She watches as my dad walks down the stairs that lead to our living area. Dad walks over to her and nods before leaving the tavern. "Guess I'm staying later than I expected. I'm sorry to throw Gil on you guys. He just needs to be watched most of the time."

   "Hey, I get it. My mom does the same thing with me. Leaves forcing me to watch over the fish shop til she comes back. Honesty, I wish I didn't have to deal with her." I smile at Uma, this was the first time we were truly bonding. She and I were connecting on a level that was previously hatred, but that was because of Mal. Uma and Mal did not like each other very much. 

   "I just wish I could live in Auradon, only to get away from my father, you know."

   "Have that second chance."

   "Yeah," Uma gets me, better than Mal and even Evie. I can't believe we weren't friends before. She and I could have a beautiful friendship growing. 

   "Here," Uma places more money on the bar for me, "For the expenses I know your trying to pay, to keep the hideout. I know that they want to kick you out."

   I look down at the money before shaking my head, "I can't take your money, Uma."

   "Please, I know that you and Gil need it, a lot. I want you to take the money and use it for you and him. He may be stupid and we bicker but he's still family."

   "Thank you, so much." I reach over the bar hugging the shorter girl. "When this month is over, if I haven't changed my mind, I'll join your pirate crew."

   "Really?"

   "Yeah," I smile, laughing lightly at her face.

   "I won't be the only girl anymore."

   I watch Uma leave the Tavern. Later in the evening, I walk to Ursala's Fish and Chips to collect my brother. 

   "Hey, Gil? Uma? Harry?" I ask as I enter the busy store. I spot the small television is on, it announces the coronation that is in less than two weeks. I watch as they flash a picture of the Prince on the screen. I jump when hands rest on my shoulder.

   "Hello, love!" Harry greets.

   "Hey, where's Gil it's getting late and we should head back to the Tavern."

   "He's with Uma at the ship," he walks with me to Uma's pirate ship. I walk on and spot my brother. He runs hugging me.

   "Y/n!" he calls. I smile at my taller sibling.

   "Hey, Gilly!" I hug him back before thanking Uma and Harry for watching him. They both nod before smiling.

   "Have a nice evening Y/n!" Uma calls as Gil and I leave the ship.

   "You too!" I call back. When Gil and I arrive at home I begin putting him to bed, as usual. I sit at my desk, taking a minute to breath.

Dear Ben,

   There's lots going on right now. Uma and Harry asked me to join their pirate gang. I told them that right now isn't the best time for me. They agreed and said that at the end of the month I could join them, basically when I leave my father and go back to the hideout with my brother. I don't know if I ever told you but it's possible that I'm going to loose the hideout. The owners don't want me there because they think that my brother and I should live with our father.

   In another news, I saw that the coronation is going to be next week. I can't wait! It's exciting to see what this new prince has in mind for us. I would love to meet him once I get the chance to go to Auradon. It seems like that may never happen though. Not just because of my father, but now because of my brother. He seems to be getting worse everyday. Soon I'm afraid I may have to hand him off to my father. I know he will be safe and will be in good hands, but I love my brother, a lot. He's my other half.

   My sob story just gets better huh? I worked in my father's Tavern today, it was supposed to be my day off. I guess my father had other plans. I'll be fine.

   Tell Evie I miss her, and that I have lots of things from Dizzy for her. Speaking of! I have a gift for you, I'll be sending it next time because I don't have the money to send it at the moment. The letter is all I can afford. That's okay because it's not finished yet, I still have some more yellows and reds to add to it. I can't wait for you to see it! It's going to be magnifique!

Til Then,

Y/n