Chapter Eight| The Date

|Beast|

   I walk to Mal's door about to knock. I had decided to wear the leather jacket Y/n had given me. It was beautiful, I still don't think I pull it off though. I knock on the door waiting for Mal to open it. I smile seeing her.

   "Hope you like bikes," I smile holding out the helmet in my hands. We ride to the forest were the Enchanted Lake is. I always liked the Enchanted Lake it was beautiful and always gave me clarity in a time were I needed it. Once we had arrived I drop the helmets onto the handle bars and we walk through the forest. "So tell me something about yourself that you've never told anyone?"

   "Um," Mal thought for a second. "My middle name is Bertha."

   "Bertha?"

   "Yeah. Bertha. Just my mom doing what she does best. Being really, really evil. Mal Bertha." I laughed lightly.

   "Mine's Florian." She laughs at me.

   "Florian?"

   "Yeah."

   "How princely. Oh, that's almost worse."

   "I mean, you know, it's better than Bertha. But it's still not the best." We reach the point were I want to cover her eyes. "Cover your eyes." She kept peaking through her fingers so I put my hands over her eyes. "Watch your foot. Yeah. Are you good?" She nods. "Now, step up. There you go. You ready?" I stood behind her resting my hands on her shoulders.

   "Yeah," I smile taking my hands away.

   "Open. Go on." We walk down to the picnic that I had set up earlier today. Something didn't feel right, but I pushed it away and enjoyed the moment with Mal. I watch as she ate the Jelly Donut in a very messy fashion. "Is this your first time?"

   "We don't really date much on the island. It's more like," she thought about what word to choose. "Gang activity."

   "I meant, is this your first time eating a jelly donut?"

   "Is it bad?"

   "Just do this," I lick my lips and she copies.

   "Gone?" I nod at her. "You can't take me anywhere, I guess."

   "You know, I've done all the talking. Your turn. I really don't know that much about you. Tell me something." She nods thinking for a moment.

   "Well, I'm sixteen. I'm an only child. And I've only ever lived in one place."

   "Me too. We have so much in common already."

   "No, trust me, we do not. And now you're gonna be king." I thought about what I was going to say next. I could never talk about my princely duties with Y/n because of our promise. I felt the need to release all the pent up emotions about being king but I held back, this is Mal not Y/n. Y/n understands me better than anyone ever will, but Mal is beautiful.

   "Yeah. A crown doesn't make you a king." 

   "Well, it kind of does."

   "No, it-" I thought of the way to put this. "Your mother is the mistress of evil and I've got the poster parents for goodness. But we're not automatically like them. We get to choose who we're gonna be." I smiled at Mal. "Let's go for a swim!"

   "What? Right now?" she sounds scared.

   "I think I'm just going to stay here."

   "Come on!" I pull off my clothes and strip to my swim trunks. 

   "I think I'm gonna stay behind and try a strawberry. I've literally never tried a strawberry before!" I watch as she eats one then eats another. I chuckle watching her before walking off to jump into the Enchanted Lake. I got to the top and stood there smiling down at her.

   "Are those crowns?"

   "Maybe," I laugh before letting out a roar and jumping in. After swimming around I began to think. I got under a rock to hide from Mal.

   I felt the potion disappear. Mal had spelled me. Should I tell her? What about Y/n what would she say if I told her, would she tell Mal I knew? I had to think up a plan and fast. 

   If I told Y/n she would know and could possibly tell Mal that I knew I was spelled, I didn't want that. I should still take Mal with me to the Coronation but it should no longer be as a date, more of friends. 

   I care about Mal, just not in the loving way she was hoping for.

Dear Y/n,

   Mal spelled me. That's all I can say but, I don't think I can send this letter to you. I'm probably going to throw it away or burn it. The latter would be the best option but I'm sorry for not sending you this letter. I really wish there was something I could do.

   Maybe I can send it after all this is over. I'll put it in a box, with the rest of the letters you have sent me.

   This is what happened:

   The day before, before the Tourney game, Mal had given me a cookie. She had told me that you had told her about my sweet tooth, and she even said it was your recipe. I'm not even sure that part is true. 

   I asked her to go to the Coronation with me, and I can't think of a reason not to take her still. She is still my friend of course. I had dumped Audrey because of Mal, that is probably the best part of this.

   Today, I took Mal to the Enchanted Lake and it washed the potion off of me. I knew she had spelled me with a love potion. But I don't love Mal! 

Help Me Some How,

Ben

   I put the letter into the box with the rest of Y/n's letters. I couldn't send this to her. Not now, maybe never.