Chapter 3: Music

You wake up around 4:00pm. "Okay. Dad won't be home for a few more hours." You get up and run to the other side of your room where your guitar sits. You pick it up and begin to play. You lose yourself in the music as you sing Skyscraper by Demi Lovato. The song came out pretty recently and you immediately wanted to learn it on guitar. You've taught yourself guitar ever since your parents divorced. Once you slipped into depression, music was the only thing that made you happy. Especially Demi Lovato's songs. You found that you could relate to the lyrics and you both struggled with depression/self-harm/eating disorders. Of course, she seeked help and is doing a lot better than you. You admired her a lot. You wished you could be strong like her. She was definitely your role model and you considered yourself a Lovatic.

You finished Skyscraper, moved to your keyboard and began playing Believe In Me. Anytime free time you had, you spent it learning Demi's songs on piano/guitar. Music was your passion. You weren't sure how you would pursue it as a career, but you knew that's exactly what you wanted to do. You had applied to a music college a few hours from where you lived in L.A, but with how your grades were going, you weren't feeling very hopeful.

You began writing lyrics down that you felt in your heart. You added chords to them, and soon a melody. You did this as the time passed. You wrote 3...4...5 songs. You couldn't stop writing. As you finally put your guitar pick down, a notification pops up on your phone. A tweet from Demi. You immediately smiled while you opened it.

"It's official, the Unbroken Tour kicks off in November! Tickets available soon once the dates are all set!!!"

You freaked out! Finally you have the chance to see her live! You were so excited, you've been waiting for this day ever since you became a Lovatic in 2010! You clicked the link she provided but no dates are shown yet. You pray that she will come to L.A. You looked at the time. "Oh my god! 8:23! Dad is gonna be home any second now."

You hear the front door open. You listen carefully to his footsteps. He walks into the kitchen. Probably grabbing a beer. Does he ever take a break from drinking? If I'm lucky, he'll drink, pass out and won't wake up until morning. You cross your fingers hoping that's what will happen. Suddenly you hear a loud slam and heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. Shit.