[13] Nico

Life was dull without Will. I was used to him being costantly at my side since the trip, but I guess we both ahd lives to do. Or, he had a life, I just sat around and thought of something interesting to do. Most of my ideas weren't great so I decided to call my dad.

At this point, you may be wondering what my relationship looks like with him. I mean, I mentioned how I nearly dropepd out fo highschool and ran away from home, but hoenstly, I do like my dad (love is too strong of a word for me to voice) and I care for him. I know it's hard for my family to show emotions, but Hazel assured me dad loves me and I'm jsut not good at picking up on the cue's.

I scrolled through my contacts and clicked the call button before sitting down o nthe couch, King joined me, stepping on--well, the most painful spot you can imagine--before flopping into my lap while I bit my lip. Will's dog has no idea what manarism is.

"Nico? Is that you, son?" I heard my dad's voice through my phone. It was grave and dramtic, masked but not comeptley heartless I suppose.

"Yeah, hey. I was just alling beucase... beucase I havne't called i na while," I said my lame excuse while trying to shove King off.

"How wodnerful to know my son was thinking of me. However, I was thinking of you. I was hoping you and Hazel and her boyfriend could come over Saturday night for dinner. Stepmother will be away and I ahven't seen you in a long while."
"Was this Hazel's idea?"

"Your lack of faith is disconcerting, I assure you, it was my idea. I--er, also heard about this blond boy."

"Dad!"

I heard him chuckle from the otherside. "I would like to meet him, be sure he treats you right."

"I'm nineteen! I can handle a country surfer, besides, Will coudln't hurt a fly wihtout being unable to sleep at night."

"Perhaps not a fly but..."

"Seriously, why does everyone keep threatning him? You'll scare him away, dad," I teased lightly, it felt good to joke around with my father.

"It will be a test of loyalites."

"Or how much he can take before he wets himself," I laughed quietly, I knew my dad wasn't the msot approachble looking eprson.

"Saturday for dinner, then? Tell him to bring a pair of extra pants?"

"When you say it like that..." I trailed off and my dad chuckled again.

"I'll do my best not to scare this Will, away, son. Be their at six. I will be sure Persephone is away."

"Thanks," I said quietly.

"Of course. I must be going for work, I will see you later. Stay safe."
"You too."

"Farewell."

"Bye."
I hung up and silence filled the room. I loved my dad, yeah. He wasn't the greatest father in the begining, but since moving out, I feel like we've connected better if that was possible. He teased and messed with me like any father would, even though I'm in college. I guess the memo on parenting came late to his inbox or something, but I'd take what I could get.

So since you know my dad and I get along so well, you're probably wondering why I ran away and why he's not upset about it. That would be his lovely (cough, not at all, cough) wife's fault. Her real name is Penelope, but I called her Persephone beucase hoenstly, she acted jsut like her. When I was younger, I also ued to call my dad Hades beucase, let's face it, I was a nerd for Mythomagic. Since his parenting has gotten better though, I revoked his title and promoted him back to dad.