[14] Will

I smiled softly when I felt Nico's breathing even and his body relax. I could hardly beleive I'd only reunited with him for a few weeks, it felt like forever but at the same time nothing. Hazel came over and sat down next to me and her brother, Frank standing protectively at her side.

"He'll be fine, right?"

Hazel sighed and I could tell she was tired. Under her eyes her skin was a bit darker and she carried herself with exhaustion. Her usual sparky energy had deteriorated, replaced with quiet worry.

"I can't get him in any sooner but they'll run a blood test and possibly check for lung damage that may be causing it. I was able to schedule a CT scan and if that shows anything they'll possibly do an MRI. I just..." Hazel put her face in one hand to support it. "I should've stepped in sooner."

"How--" I faltered, unsure if I should ask. "How did Nico develop COPD?"

"Inhailing fumes and bad genetics. But at this point I'm starting to wonder if he has cancer," Hazel lifted her face and I could see the terror. "Our--I mean, his, mother died with cancer."
"With?"
"She was in Calafornia when as Earth Quake happened, that got to her before the cancer did," Hazel explained. "Or so that's what our father said, I had a feeling she would'nt have made it long with or without the building collapsible."

I nodded sadly. Nico was still asleep in my lap, comeptley unaware of the conversation, which I figured was a good thing. "And what about his sister? I mean, his other sister, I remember her from summer camp."

Hazel shifted nad glanced up at her boyfriend who moved nad took a seat next to her. The couch had reached it's max now with four people and I'm glad I locked King in my room. King had no regards for personal space or max seating. She figured she was a lap dog.

"Bianca was with their mother. She made it through the collapse, but she died two years later, all of which she spent i nthe hospital. Nico was ten, and I think watching his sister die slowly, it really got to him."

"It would get to any of us," Frank agreed.

"So what about your family?" I asked, hoping I hadn't crossed a boundary.

"My mom died when I was young in Alaska. It was... a really bad acciedent. In a way, our whole friend group has experienced a lot of death. I guess we all just have horrible luck and that's one thing that brought us together," Hazel offered a weary smile.

"That's awful. I know that I'm sorry just is never enough, but I do understand."

"Thanks, Will. You're a good guy. I'm glad my brother has someone like you looking after him."
A warm feeling seeped into my bones and I smiled fondly at Nico. Drool was slowly forming in hte corner of his mouth and trickling down my shoulder and side. He was adorable.

The next day Nico was back to normal. Hazel has stayed voer just in case and was currently making breakfast which I flicked through the TV with Nico. His hair had a permanent case of pillow head and their were dark circles under his eyes, but those had alwuays been their. At elast he'd made a sterak of not puking so far, however their was a bucket next to us just in case.

"Stranger Things? The Office? Andy Griffih? What'cha wanna watch?"

"It's a Wonderful Life," Nico decided, rubbing his eyes again.

"Neeks, it's not even CHristmas," I protested.

"Hey, I'm the one sick, I get privileges. It's a Wonderful Life."

"Ooh, I love that movie," Hazel squealed from behind the breakfast bar.

"What is up with you two? It's like, August still."
"It's a Wonderful Life," Hazel and Nico chanted at the same time.