Mares Are Crazy

I think it's official. I'm going to actually strangle a horse. I groan inwardly as Prim gave the fifth buck of the lesson.
"Keep her steady Palmer!" Solomon shouts to me from the middle as we cantered towards the jump. Prim, having just thrown a large buck, wasn't lined up and stopped in front of the jump throwing me over her shoulder. Gasping as I hit the ground I sat up rather quickly. Wiggling every toe and finger I found that everything was in working order. Letting out a serious of coughs I cursed my asthma as I continued to cough.

"Easy Beth," Solomon says arriving around my side as I started to stand.

"I'm fine, I mean I'm gonna ache tomorrow but otherwise fine," I sigh out letting out another round of coughs. Walking slowly over to where Prim was standing on the other side of the still standing jump. Taking her reins from Leo who had also jogged over to grab Prim I led her around for a bit before accepting she was fine. Leading her to the back of the line as Jacob urged Indy into a canter towards the jumps.

"Need a leg up?" Leo asks appearing at my side. I nod and he wraps an arm around my bottom leg, effortlessly flinging me into the saddle. Looking down at him I send him a small smile and he winks

"Don't fall off this time," rolling my eyes I shorten my reins as the next pair goes.

"Good Carmen, keep her steady on the last vertical. Kian go ahead, remember to keep Tiny from running out," Solomon instructs as Kian sends Tiny forward into a smooth canter. They made it cleanly over the jumps and soon enough, Florence was guiding Gin over the final jump.

"Lovely Florence just give Gin a bit more rein when going over larger jumps," Solomon critiques before clapping his hands together, a habit I've realised he does whenever he needs to address the whole group,

"I think that's enough for tonight, besides the dinner halls gonna close soon!" He wags a finger at us and we took that as a dismissal. It's been two days since I got here and the competition was getting harder by the day. Not to mention Prim was being Prim. I let out a loud cough as I dismounted and nearly lost my chance because or not but was put back on balance by a pair of hands on my waist.

"You alright?" I turn around to see Leo looking back at me his brows furrowed. I quickly nod before turning back to Prim and rolling up my stirrups letting out another cough. I really needed my inhaler right about now. Struggling to keep my breathing under control I managed to lead prim to the cross ties and switch her bridle for her halter before clipping her in.

"Beth, you ok?" I jump as Jacob came up behind me and nodded but another loud cough didn't convince him.

"I-I uh must be getting a cold," I say quickly sliding off Prims saddle and saddle pad before hiking  the bridle up on my shoulder and hurrying to the tack room. Dropping off her tack I rush back and quickly took off her boots and finished cooling her off my coughing and breathing getting quicker by the moment. Feeling her arms and chest I found that they weren't very hot and she didn't need a rinse. Leading her to her stall I let her loose and rushed out of the barn.

"Beth! Wait up!" I slow my pace for a moment to see Leo jogging up to me.

"What's up?" I manage our before letting out a loud cough,

"You ok?" I nod quickly to Leo,

"Can we walk and talk?" I ask starting to walk again as he fell in beside me,

"you just seemed really iffy is all," Leo admits

"I'll be fine," I sigh stopping in front of the dorm, "really I mean a little sore but otherwise fine," giving him a small wave I enter the dorm and head to my room.