Chapter 16. Truths and Lies

Padmé strolled down the hall on her apartment and found her way to the veranda. There she found Anakin, sitting on the stairs, staring at the sunrise. Padmé approached him and he seemed to notice. Anakin breaks his gaze to look at Padmé and smiled at her. Padmé smiled back and sat down next to her husband on the stairs.

"The sunrise is beautiful," Anakin said, looking back at the sky. "But not as beautiful as you." Padmé felt her wheels slowly burning from blushing. Anakin looked back at his wife and put his hand over her swollen belly. "I'm sure you will be as beautiful as your mom princess," he whispered to the belly. Padmé chuckled. "What makes you think it's a girl?" she asked. "I don't know maybe my Jedi powers?"

They both laughed. "I think it's going to be a boy," Padmé expressed her theory. "And what makes you think that?" Anakin asked the same question back, crossing his arms. Padmé rolled her eyes before responding, "I don't know maybe my Senator powers?" They continued to laugh.

"Whatever it is," Anakin suddenly said, "I'm going love you and your mother no matter what." He lowered his head and kissed her pregnant stomach which makes Padmé smile widely. After he's done, Anakin looked up and he closed off their gap, kissing his wife like there's no other problems in the world.

Sadly it didn't last long. "I have to go," Anakin excused himself, standing up from the stairs. Padmé could only watch as he walked away to his ship. "Are you going to be home tonight?" she asked before he could leave. Anakin stayed still for a while. "I'll try," he answered and went back on his way.

Padmé stared at her husband speeding away from her apartment. She was worried for him and for their baby. Anakin looked exhausted and Padmé awfully whished the Jedi Council could just give him a little break.

She turned down and slowly stroke her belly. Last night Anakin has dreamt something terrible, that she died in childbirth. Padmé wasn't worried about herself as much as she is worried about Anakin and the baby. Will the baby be alright? What would happen to Anakin if I die?

Shaking her head, Padmé slowly stood up and walked back to her apartment. She doesn't need to worry about these things, it probably won't come true. Sighing, Padmé prepares to leave for work.

-------------------------------------------------

"So," Padmé started, "what have you been up to lately?" she inquired. "Nothing really fun," Satine answered, rolling her eyes as she does so. She took a sip of her tea and placed it back at the table.

"Well at least Mandalore's problems are resolved," Padmé said, trying to find the positive in their current state. The Duchess however didn't agree. "Not really, we still have to repay the Republic and I'm still figuring out how we're actually going to do that."

The mood turned sour for a bit and there was an awkward silence. "So anyways I heard that there's a new Mandalorian Senator now," Padmé changed the topic. Satine nodded in response. "He will be taking care of Mandalore's business in Coruscant from now on," she confirmed.

"So you won't be visiting Coruscant often then," she concluded. Satine gave a sad sigh. "Sadly yes, but it's for the better."

Padmé smiled at her friend when an idea came to her head. "Maybe I can come visit Mandalore sometime," she pitched. "That's a good idea."

Padmé opened her mouth to speak again when suddenly she felt extremely nauseous. She suddenly gripped at her stomach and closed her mouth as tight as she could. "I have to go," she excused herself and immediately ran to the restroom.